The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this so thought i'd stick it in here.

It's a sort of trip report but with some experimenting.

wrasse session to a mark with very little angling pressure nowadays. should give it away to locals!!

Started with purple lures which do so well in Jersey but no taps after a dozen casts it was time for a change. Onto the brown and immediately I was getting taps. carl, you have to try them more over there and see if's it's a locality thing, I would be interested to know.

anyway, I didn't hook any and then managed to snag myself and bust the leader off.

Decided I couldn't be bothered to tie a new one so went direct braid to jighead.

6 casts and not a bump. Put the leader back on, same lure and fish takes casting to the same area.

3110Wrasse.JPG

So, in a very unscientific test, using a leader does appear to make a difference to wrasse fishing, not just for abrasion resistance but also for visibility it seems. I didn't expect that but as I continued using a leader I was getting a knock or 2 every retrieve (brown lures only) and zip with no leader. And purple is rubbish here!!

I was using my normal blue Yamatoyo SW PE #1.0 as mainline.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have done better on Ayu colours from September onwards. Maybe the purple thing is seasonal?

Interesting observation on leaders. I was fishing with someone before the bassfest who nailed few on retrieved hard and soft lures with braid straight through. Maybe it's a deadsticking issue?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't do deadstick or shakey very often as my normal marks are too snaggy to let the lure settle, just a very slow retreive bumping rocks and brushing through the weed with the odd twitch to jump over the rocks.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I catch more Wrasse with a leader than without.
I have tried this multiple times. I think it does make a difference.

Purple ?

Earlier this year, if you didn't have purple you were disadvantaged. I think, think, it might be sea hare related.

We are still doing pretty good on the Rockfish. I've honestly and totally lost count but neutral colours are scoring for us.

Too snaggy ground, deadstick and shake ? No such thing Andy. Get it in there.
We've found one mark where there openings are only 8" across and cavernous relative to the reef openings. Drop it, tap it, shake it....

HOLD ON.

·
Registered
498 Posts
definately going to give them browns a go when back from the uk, only 4 wks left in the comp so time to concentrate on the wrasse for a bit, let you know how the browns fare aginst the other xlayer colours andy,and think that mark you had yours could hold some biggies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts