The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chatting aboutparticular items on the Koa thread, how many of us (other than boat anglers) wear any sort of safety device when fishing from the shore, and do more of us think we should - or would if there were decent options available?

The likes of the Japanese Mazume Redmoon III (http://www.mazume.co.jp/products/0072-09.htm) are proper luxury items, but it would be very, very easy for somebody like Sakura to build a similar sort of floatation materials in to their Koa jackets - or something of similar design. The cost wouldn't need to be big at all. Probably less than half that of Japanese versions if they weren't tarted up so much.

****, can you have any say in things like this (with your direct contacts?). If we asked for a range of functional floatation/safety devices to become available at reasonable prices, would people buy them?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Ben,

I will be buying a floatation aid for my son and myself this year, some marks will need them others won't, better safe than sorry though eh.
Will be looking for a suitable device so i can wear it with my chest/back pack and still be able to cast unhindered

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats it Steve. Those with kids especially...

What I'm thinking mostly about is actually having specific floatation devices that are built IN TO a suitable range of angling bags/packs etc. Personally I don't want to have to wear a seperate floatation device AND a bag/backpack/waist pack. All in one is my ideal.

It may actually be a fairly specific UK request (which means it'll never happen) as such a massive percentage of our fishing is from the shore and we don't have the number of lure fishing boat anglers as in France.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ben
For my bait fishing in Ireland the wife bought me a floatation suit for Xmas. I was getting increasingly worried about be the only person by the bank / on the beach / on the rocks. My view is that anything that can help is worth having.

I love the idea of the Mazume but need convincing that it provides sufficent newtons. If it does then it opens up a whole world of possibilities such as scrapping the wading jacket for a windstopper.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure Jon! I think it'll make life easier in a number of ways. Although I think I'll still end up wearing a proper thin gore-tex jacket just to keep the waves off my head.

Will be interesting testing the Mazume when the water warms up a bit. I'm sure it'll carry my tiny frame no problem, but will be good to get it wet and have a float around. Will have to try and get a fat friend to give it a go to test it. In fact, anybody who wants to come down and have a days fishing in Cornwall (with a cold water swim) is welcome to do so.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have recently ordered a wader belt, which I intend on wearing from now on when fishing some of the hairier marks. Like you say though, I would be looking with interest if bags were made with an integrated buoyancy aid of some kind, for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Ben,

Bit of a delayed response, but I thought you may still be looking. I have something similar to what you are after. Palm make a floatation aid (70N) for the medium sized one, designed for (I think) Kayak fishers. It has some OK sized pockets at the front and an expandable 'back pack' compartment. Plus loads of attachment points and clips etc. Not quite a full backpack but half way there. It works really well, does not restrict casting, and certainly makes me feel a hell of a lot safer when fishing.

Cheers, Bruce.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice one Bruce. Always good to hear about what's out there! I've had my Mazume for about 6 months now and love it! Its funny actually that you should bring this one up as I see that I started it in February saying that it'd be easy for somebody like Sakura to put floatation bits in to their Koa packs etc, and then early in March we were in Nantes and Ultimate have actually built a slightly more hardcore floatation vest in the same style as the Mazume (and other Japanese brands). ...so the though we obviously already out there. I can't recommend things like this more highly. Firstly there's safety, but you also get a properly ergonimic bit of kit that beats any backpack, chestpack, lure case I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Ben, I was chatting with Jon in Weymouth at the weekend and we got talking about life jackets. Is the Mazume Redmoon III a one size fits all? And did you buy it via the link you posted above ?

I was using my Snowbee fly fishing vest/lifejacket at the weekend but would like something a bit more practical for carrying lure boxes and something a bit lighter in weight.

Ivan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ivan,

Yes, it is a one size fits all jobby. Each shoulder strap is adjustable, as is the waist. Over the winter I had it fairly tight over layers of clothing, but I've just recently tightened it right up - since I rarely wear more than a t-shirt and coat now.

I bought it from Plat in, but I don't think they have them on their site. You have to ask. Tsuri have some on their site at the moment though. Bit more expensive than I paid though. http://www.tsurishopjapan.com/ (website seems to be undergoing some changes at the mo).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Was thinking about this yesterday...

Fishing in a wetsuit there was no issue with falling in, or drowning etc..
I felt safer than in previous months that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi Ben

Please could you post some photo's please showing how the flip over back section works? The photos on the sites aren't great. Also can you confirm how many Newtons buoyancy they have?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try mate. Will have to rope the gf in to taking some pics. You'll be fine with it, but it does require a little flexibility to do it most easily.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've just bought one, but in red about 3 weeks ago, it arrived in this country 2 weeks ago, it's currently held at customs in coventry, why there, I have no idea!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've just bought one, but in red about 3 weeks ago, it arrived in this country 2 weeks ago, it's currently held at customs in coventry, why there, I have no idea!

Because they are knobs !! They held some lures of mine for a while :x

1 - 20 of 56 Posts