The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether people are using clips for their SPs or tying them directly? If you are using clips what do you recommend? My JB swivel clips wont fit through the SP hook eye.

After a month of weed here in the middle of the summer, I was forced to actually persist with my SPs and having caught a few, have more confidence in them now and am using them more regularly.

I still prefer my hard plastics and start with them if possible and go to the SPs as an alternative. I'm basically lazy but also dont like missing fishing time messing with knots so having to cut off my JB swivel and then re-tie later when I switch back is annoying me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 'Hiro' ones are easy to fit through a hook eye and are good and strong compared to some other DuoLocks...
If you open up the retaining hook just a little then StayLoks work too and they're as reliable as it gets.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really is that the best solution ****?

I hate mucking about with knots on the rocks if I can help it and if I am chopping and changing regularly between SPs and HPs (which I do when I'm not catching, quite a regular occurence right now!), my leader ends up too short pdq, then I've got to tie in a new leader.....

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I use Decoy diamond clips, or 'V' clips I think they are, for SP's. Like you, I don't tie direct, as I am often changing jigheads etc, and you can easily end up using a metre of leader in a couple of hours or less

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I use the Decoy Egg Clips. They sometimes have to be bent-out slightly to accommodate some Jig Heads, but overall work just fine. When fishing 'very' snaggy ground with reasonably high tackle losses, i revert to tying on directly, as its easier.

·
Registered
779 Posts
some people add split rings to the jigheads on rigging - might be worth a try

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I use JBs (in the last two or three years just the clip half) for a lot of SP and HP fishing and have done for a long time. I have never broken one or had one open up. I can't say that for several other well known lure clips.

JB's can be winkled into most lure eyes. Sometimes you have to thread the clip on, rather than try to push the catch part through the hook eye.

Demos at the prize giving on Sunday after a few pints LOL.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Really is that the best solution ****?
Personally I dont use them anymore, I found I was losing so many sp's and retying my leaders and adding a clip etc, it was just an expense that I didnt see nessisary. Dont get me wrong, if I was using a clip with a plug then I would keep the clip on and use it til I lost it or changed back to a hard lure, but when retying I dnot bother. I think one of the morals of the story is I should learn not to lose so many softies :)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I don't use them for wrasse or LRF, to be fair. Spend what you save on a good fluoro and you'll be better off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i always tie direct mark, but if you want to use jb's you can open the"u" slightly and twist through the eye, done it a few times when xlayers 1st came out and had no probs or experieced any weakness, i use it most of the time for lrf
metals,its great for switching the lrf metals quickly, but the amount you would lose evens up the hassle of tying knots
for hrf

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always tie direct to flouro now. I used to use a swivel and clip but that caught so much weed I learnt how to tie flouro to braid and never looked back. I must learn to use more weedless lures too. Thanks Nathan for that one on Friday evening.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I never use clips but tie straight to the flouro I have lost too many good fish when clips have failed or you have not checked the clip knot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts