little whinging, 'lure' forum basics | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

little whinging, 'lure' forum basics

Discussion in 'Lures' started by {name}, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Perch

As it's a lure forum, in catch reports do we not want a shot of the lure used? Not just a shot of a fish. Perhaps also a note on technique used, conditions etc. Would make a much more interesting read. Thoughts / discussion / welcome

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Tarpon

Posters choice. Some post catch reports, others don't. Some share details, others don't. It's just the way it is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Perch

Its not that hard to chuck the lure into frame in a fish shot though, maybe they're ashamed of their pre 90's scrapped up rapala? Or hooks are a bit rusty. Who knows, just think it makes a better report

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Striper

Normally, if the lure's not in shot, members just ask what the lure was. Can't remember the captor ever refusing to say what the successful lure was. Have to say I like the lure "in situ" for the photo but I'd rather see the fish without the lure than not see the fish at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Pollock Supporting Member

Its all about whether you are a "giver", with something worthwhile to contribute, or a "taker" in the end isn't it?
    Posts of camera shots of fish on a tape, with no info beyond "look what I caught" do nothing for me.
    Unless I forget, I don't "like" those kind of posts, hoping that will encourage a bit more effort!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Banned

I prefer a nicely framed catch photo and a good write up.

Measure/tape shots are fine for the comps but they are pretty boring.
    I suppose it's down to the individual if they want to divulge what they caught on, who would know if the truth is being told in the report or the photo?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pollock

I like to see shots of the fish with the individual although, this is not always possible.
    I like a story of the anglers day out - the weather, the tide, the tactics how he is feeling - his mood his enthusiasm.
    Photo's, not just of the fish but, perhaps the surroundings, no, I don't mean giving the mark away but, maybe the flora and fauna. The rod the reel, sea sand or greenery all look cool.

Say what worked well what didn't - what was the plan

I try not to take photo's anymore with the lure in the fishes mouth
    I try and ensure blood is not leaking from the fishes mouth - splash it with sea water

I think were all learning - lots of good reporters on here to take note of:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pollock

Not sure we should start picking holes in catch reports. Precious few bother their arse to post them these days anyway. I'd rather see more reports with less detail on here. Post what you want I say, always nice to see what members are pulling in.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Perch

From my perspective of living on a small island there are too many lurkers that prevent me posting catch reports with any sort of detail at all. Take my recent report; a guy called "Craig" who is local to Jersey looked at it, who has been a member since 2010 and NEVER posted. That made up my mind not to bother any more. In recent years there has been an explosion of lure anglers over here, and good marks have never been so precious. Very happy to post foreign trip reports though, and to read them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Striper

I know of members who are not willing to post catch reports anymore. Brings us back to the oft-mentioned subject of lurkers. We would be better off as a forum if we could prevent lurkers from reading catch reports. No probs with them looking at other sections, just not catch reports. We need as many regular posters putting up catch reports as possible. It's one of the main parts of the forum. There has been some good ideas suggested by members, we maybe need to act on them.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Pollock

That's a real shame Jeremy, but I don't blame you one bit. I'd do exactly the same in your shoes. In the report I put up this morning I've cropped and angled the picture so that it'll take out anything that makes it easier to pin point where the reef is. It's a sad fact that that people do just hang around wanting information and contributing nowt, but there's nothing you can do about it.

As @Rich Collins said, So few bother with even getting involved at all that whether a report has the lure used in it is neither here nor there. For what it's worth, I do stick it in if I think it's important, or will mention something if I think it made a real difference.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mullet (foul hooked)

I would post catch reports but only if people who are here years and read everything but with no post could not see them.If that came at a price I think I would be willing to even pay to cut out the lucker situation.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Bass

When I first joined the forum a few years ago my objective was to learn about techniques/methods , tackle , lures, best times to fish and not to gain any info on fishing marks/venues. There are a lot of experienced lure fishermen on here with a wealth of knowledge. I think this is the case with the majority, but not all, of new members who have joined . I have my own marks and I take great delight in finding new marks every so often with my own research on google maps, treks etc.
    I am of the belief if you gain any angling information (not marks/venues) off the forum you should be prepared to give something back.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. Bass

When I read a catch report (I read the vast majority) my first reaction is one of genuine gratitude for the effort.
    I then rate in my own mind how appealing a read, quality of photos, level of information and almost always tick the like icon.
    Considering the lengths some go to in driving, walking and not to mention the hours standing firing away in the hope of their quarrie, a few minutes typing on a keyboard isn't really too much to ask. I went a few years before posting a catch report and even then it was a blank. The beauty of this forum is the variation of skill levels, locations, information and no dominant cliques bullying the newbies.
    In answer to the OP, yes you're right, but just be glad that folk make the extra effort to write anything.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Perch

Thanks for the responses, good to see alot of variation in opinions.
    We all know what a bass / pollock etc looks like . I do like to see shots of any fish caught regardless of species btw and agree we should always actively encourage any post, any species any size....and yes people are always happy to give details / advice on lures. As a thought though,,,
    Its not called - Pictures of fish what I caught forum :) go on make my day stick in a shot of the lure with your reports I'll be a much happier little bear

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mullet (foul hooked)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Striper

Looking after the fish and getting it back in the water is always my main priority, getting the hooks out it's face should always come first for both your and the fishes well fair, then a quick ruler pic and get the bugger back in the drink.
    For the reasons already pointed out the only report you will ever see from me is a ruler pic and "look what I caught" and that is only because a report is needed for the comp.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pollock

What happened in your avatar Dave ??;) :lolsign:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Perch

Must admit, if it's just in the lip I like a lure in the pic, or unhook and lay the lure next to it, with maybe the rod there too. Fish on a ruler is just the most boring pic. Still, we all like different things.

20. Banned

Personally I like to do the unhooking of a lure first, unless it's plainly obvious it's an easy unhook, just in case there's a problem. For the sake of the fish a photo is a bonus. I've plopped some nice fish back without a photo in the past as I've decided they've been out long enough. In saying that a report without a photo just doesn't seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2