The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chatting to Dave a few times recently, the pair of us decided that it might be worth trying a bream fishing trip out on a boat from Littlehampton. This is a noted bream fishing hotspot (if there is such a thing) so the skippers know where and how to fish for them. They would normally go about it with bait but no reason why we can't do our own thing and fish with lures if we wish.

Is anybody interested in making up a group of six out from Littlehampton in May? It would have to be subject to availalbility of a boat (!) and it may mean going midweek. If there is enough interest I will look into it further. First come fist served, looking for four more people.

Tacklewise, a light baitcasting/spin outfit would likely fit the bill but I will try and find out more.

cheers

Mike

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Count me in - I am looking at organising a Pollack trip or two out of Brighton soon too ... I have my friends dad, brother and friend makes 4 inc me ... only need a handful more - we go with Noel on Aquavitesse (he is redoing his site by the looks of things!)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, I have a fair bit of experience of fishing for black bream out of Littlehampton over the Kingmere rocks. Can I strongly recommend you try and book Jennifers Pride, skippered by Steve Hipgrave? He is the best skipper in the port for the bream fishing out of Littlehampton, and from mid April you can catch some beauties (usually on ledegered squid strip). They catch plenty of fish over 4lb and they go like stink! Even a 2lb fish will pull your string - you are generally in 14-20m of water with a fair bit of tide so it's good sport. They also catch some seriously big bass every year from exactly the same marks (plenty of doubles each year), some on bait and some on lures (generally dexter wedges not plugs, but someone recently had a big one off the top in 20m!). Another skipper to look up is Neil French on Spirit of Arun - he has a website and writes the Littlehampton catch reports for the free Sea Angling News reports. He is experimenting a bit more with lures for the bass, so again he is worth speaking with. Super boat too - Lochin 40...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Mike. I'm interested. Haven't been on a boat for donkeys. Need to check nearer the time with the walking social diary though.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, guys. It sounds like it is worth finding out more and posting up what I find.

Tim, thanks for the info. I will start with your recommendations.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Guys, you couldn't go far wrong with either boat. Steve's boat Jennifer's Pride is a more traditional wooden boat with less of the luxuries, but he is without doubt the best skipper for the reefs and ground fishing. Neil's boat is bigger and faster and he is perhaps less of a traditionalist than Steve, but between them the two account for most of the better fish whether bass or bream. The good thing is you aren't fishing a huge depth and if you are fishing on the drift you don't need heavy gear. I have never fished over 15lb class gear and to be honest you can go lighter.
I've fished down there for 15 years+ (until I moved to Wales) on my mate's 18 foot Alaska and we have had some real red letter days, outfishing the charters on a good few occasions especially when bream fishing.
To be honest you can ALMOST guarantee bream down there in season. They do catch plenty out of Brighton too, but not in the same numbers. Later season when the big fish move out to the wrecks, then Brighton's bream fishing really comes on song.

One last thought - don't leave it too late to book. Both skippers' diaries get full. Steve will fish with 6 ideally at around £35 each (last time I wnet out with him) for the day if you aren't going too far and burning loads of diesel. Not sure on costs for Neil French. If you get weathered off, you can rebook.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think Injection is more the way to go, Alex. They fight hard but aren't huge and you aren't in great danger of being taken into the snags. They do that circling thing that tuna do when they come up near the boat as well which is always cool. The blue colours on the heads of the male fish are stunning - remarkably pretty fish and dare I say it, fabulous eating. Better than bass in my book.
Spoke with my mate earlier today. Last year in May he fished on his own and caught: 32 Black Bream to 3.5lb, a 6lb bass, a 12lb smooth-hound and visited a wreck on the way in and picked up 5 pollack to 8lb! Now that was a day to remember. All would have been on 12-15lb class boat gear and 20lb braid with no more than 6-8 oz lead.
To be honest, he'd probably take you out with him this year and only ask for a share of fuel. Sadly he is struggling for a boat buddy now I have moved away.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I too fancy a go at this.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Bream fishing is cool. I always go out on a boat from Portsmouth which gets me onto bream everytime. I tend to use multi hook rigs topped off with small white or pink beads, size 4 hooks. Takes are positive and fights continua all the way to the surface. Fantastic fun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts