The Lure Forums banner

Llandudno North Shore today

685 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ian Morris 
#1 ·
I went to Penmon on Anglesey after work, arriving at about 6.00pm, about 1 hour after low tide. Another angler said there had been a few mackerel caught earlier on, but it had gone dead. I gave it 2 hours but nothing doing.

Decided to head back towards home and fish Llandudno N Shore into dusk. Arrived at about 9.30pm, with high tide around 11.00pm. Tried various plugs and surface lures, then switched to a silver Toby. Saw a couple of fish jump around 10.00pm, one was definitely a bass. Saw a swirl then another swirl about 30 yards out so I covered it and was rewarded with a pull which turned out to be a 3/4lb mackerel.

The last fish I caught was a 7lb salmon in early May, up in Scotland, but this is my first sea fish in about 10 trips, since I started plugging about 5 weeks ago. Not a big fish, and not a bass, but very welcome all the same.:-D

I tell you, this bass fishing lark seems to be as hard as salmon fishing!:-D

#2 ·
Thanks for the report John,
It,s been a slow start regarding the Bass at Penmon and the Straits but I saw a very good sign yesterday while we were maintaining the lateral buoys on the Caernarfon Bar,there were huge shoals of Sprat being pushed through with the tide into the Straits so the Bass will not be far behind them.

#4 ·
nice to meet you last night john, theres a few signs that things will start to pick up soon,actually starting to see e few sandeels close in with launce tearing thru them and a few mackies coming in close as well ,so the bass wont be far behind........this part of north wales tends to do better later in the season compared with the lleyn and the island.

#7 ·
better news....

Thats good to here....
Been to a few rock marks bait fishing and been surprised how little life theres been.
Ive only taken up plugging this year and havent hooked anything yet but the few times Ive been just been so little going on....
Birds feeding,nothing moving or jumping,no small stuff close in.
When Im going out plugging with seeing nothing happening it starts me off questioning what Im doing,the lure etc so be great to to get out and be able to see stuff happening hopefully soon!!! lol

#8 ·
same here

Pretty much the same for me Nick - seen very little sign of sand eel etc until the last week or so, so hopefully things are set to improve.

Postscript to my brief visit to Penmon on Friday evening - an angler fished the high tide at dusk and reports 25 mackerel to feathers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.