The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the beach at Llangennith like to fish for bass and when is the best state of tide?

I used to surf at Llangennith and it used to be a very common sight to see the backs of a large looking bass swimming slowly on a warm summer evening.

I'm really looking for a place on the Gower to fish when the weather is a typical autumn day, i.e. overcast and raining and a strong south westerly (i.e. onshore) with decent surf running and you can't think of anywhere else to go. I would think that with chest waders you could cover a lot of beach.

Also as these type of conditions churn up the water and reduce the water visibility, what would be a good type of lure/colour?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Dave.

I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth going there on a bad weather day when you can't think of anywhere else to go, stand waist deep and cast across the wind trying every thing you've got. I guess there is only one way to find out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
fished gennith on saturday,i started at the holmes chucking a lure for a while but no joy then onto the beach with maddies looking for them golden greys,seen a few fish but no takers.theres a few fish coming off the holmes but most fish on razor.lots and lots of spider crab shells washed up on the beach.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've fished Gennith quite a bit, although always with bait. To fish it effectively with lures you would need to pick the right sized swell. Ideally a set with regular sets rather than a messy surf. With some nice tables of water, you'd get an opportunity to stand out beyond the first wave and to fish into the first or second table of water.

I find that the better Bass will not be in close during bright sunshine, so perhaps consider that also.

You would also have an excellent chance of Flounders in there, so factor that into lure choice.

No reason whatsoever why it wouldnt produce the goods, i'd say it's all about the surf conditions you choose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it is spidercrab peeling time then. Those bass must be stuffed to the gills with crab by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts