The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After suffering all week the thought of rock hopping was to much. I decided on a local surf beach trying for an early Bass or the returning flounder.

Arrived to a superb surf, at its peak it was a good ten feet. Wading out to cast needed a sensible approach with strong undercurrents.

I thought let's take some pics for the forum. The camera decided it would not play ball and stopped working. So here are a few pics from my phone.

I love this beach, it puts the week of work so far away, almost another world.

Started fishing about half hour after low, second cast rod tip rattles, fish on! Not huge but a nice flounder of about a pound and 1/4 on lugworm.

As is always the case after seeing a fish so early in the session I start to fish hard, changing baits and really putting some big lug and ragworm out hoping for more fish.

Within 15 minutes of the first another nice flounder. this time on ragworm around the same size as the first.

The tide was running hard now, continually moving back up the beach. Three hours into the flood fish three. Again on ragworm. A lovely fish just under a pound and a half.

Sorry no photos of these fish, fishing was hectic with the tide and two rods.

My son and wife joined me for a few hours, I packed one of my rods away and fished a heavy spinning rod with a one hook running ledger, hoping for a fish to give him a little scrap.

It was not to be the spinning rod proved it can handle a good surf and should be excellent sport this summer.

Around one hour before top tide the best fish of the day. A nice plump fish estimated at a tad under two pound.

And that was it, a very enjoyable session but very surprised no Bass?! I expected to pick up some schoolie's today but it was not to be. I fear a late start to the season this year.

Great to see the flounder returning after spawning, another lovely day at llangennith with sunshine and fresh air. What more could I ask for. :D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking report Marc. Shame you couldnt join us today, but looks like you struck a rich vein of fish which sadly eluded us today !! That last one is an absolute belter !!

We need to shake the man-flu in readiness for next weekend :(

Looking forard to young Josh being one of the 'regulars' too :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great effort Marc, we all blanked on the lures down west !

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That is a nice fat flounder, so good call today, Marc. By the time you have beaten the "man-flu" and the water is warm enough for some bass down west, we will have it all sussed and ready to share with you...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Very nice flounder. Have you tried fishing in the surf with SPs or plugs for them?
Funnily enough Mike, a few of us tried that on Saturday at a different location. Now that we know they are back on the beaches, we'll definately have a crack at them down on the mark that Marc fished on Saturday. Before this year (and the discussions we've all had on here), i would never have dreamed of attempting it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report Marc...

Hey guys you are promising some fish for the first Bumble aren't you????

Or do I have to bring some bait with me.....and upset the sensitive ones among us....

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Marc...

Hey guys you are promising some fish for the first Bumble aren't you????

Or do I have to bring some bait with me.....and upset the sensitive ones among us....
Bring bait if you want to Trevor, no probs with that, oh and by the way the bumble has been changed to Chissel Beach, see you there !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Oh well back to being Billy no mates...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts