The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any folks feel able to advise on my local "Waste of Time".....the Port Talbot Dock?

For the past two years, I have been attempting (off and on) to make contact with some of the alleged Pike said to be in there (using Lures) .....with spectacular and total failiure.....now I'm either "rather unlucky" on old Esox'....or plainly should be looking somewhere else!

:-?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alan, Iestyn Jones may be the man to help you there. Look up his details in the catch reports of his recent pike exploits....

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Alan,

I work in Corus and speak to quite a few anglers who fish in the dock, this year they have said it is hard going on the Pike and no one seems to know why, I have noticed myself that the water level in general has dropped about 2 feet in the last couple of weeks and whether that has anything to do it I don't know, there have been some Bass taken there of late with one clunker in double figures. Iestyn Jones will know more about what other species are available there and if he reads this he will no doubt answer, the only other thing I can think of is the Pike have moved to another area of the dock to spawn !

·
Registered
437 Posts
After a fair few attempts it can be frustrating not to "crack" a venue. Have you tried with a dead bait? Could help you locate the fish so that you can chuck a lure at them.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
We'll organise a little Bumble over there Alan and give it a good thrashing !! We'll winkle something out if they are there ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any folks feel able to advise on my local "Waste of Time".....the Port Talbot Dock?

For the past two years, I have been attempting (off and on) to make contact with some of the alleged Pike said to be in there (using Lures) .....with spectacular and total failiure.....now I'm either "rather unlucky" on old Esox'....or plainly should be looking somewhere else!

:-?
click on my blog in my signature......

We'll organise a little Bumble over there Alan and give it a good thrashing !! We'll winkle something out if they are there ;)
count me in Si!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It's only an hour from me - count me & George in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't you have to have a rod license to fish the dock Si..i know you can get a day permit from the cafe..i go past the bloody place every day but never fished it

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mart said......
don't you have to have a rod license to fish the dock Si
.......I imagine if your catching Freshwater fish and you don't have an EA License.....you would find yourself in deep "cack" if checked.

Iestyn said.....
click on my blog in my signature
.....I have....and now teddy is really puzzled (or disoriented)....does the bear see what he thinks he sees?

Ben said........
Have you tried with a dead bait?
.....once or twice.....gets me torn-up a bit by what I thought were eels.

Soooooo........someone needs to come over and show folks that there really ARE Pike in there.....

"A"

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've bought an EA License for the season. Only £27 and i've been going pretty regulalry.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Simon Said:

We'll organise a little Bumble over there Alan and give it a good thrashing !! We'll winkle something out if they are there
Not really a good idea, maybe, regretably it's well known localy for being difficult with access' problems here, there have been issues reported with the keyholder and various anglers. A Shame really. Only this morning there are still folks waiting at the gates (after two and a half hours) I gave up at 10am.....it can be a good fishery....if you can get in and apparently....if you don't get banned for being late out.....like I said....shame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: In the spirit of complete fairness.........

I later managed to contact the gent, who did apologize for the access issue.....and rang back later to say it was open.....perhaps the unflattering verbals I had when enquiring out-and-about and the on-line viewpoint I have previously encountered when making enquiries are unjustified?.......juries out, give the guy a chance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We use to have some good pike in our local docks (Salford quays). Then they seemed to vanish. Turned out locals where catching and killing them on the pretense they were eating all the fish. ( cant put the rest of the words here to describe them!!!!!!!!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts