The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out on Sunday looking for a Wrasse. The mark I chose to fish was one I'd not fished before, so obviously I didn't know whether there were actually any Wrasse there or not. It looked good and was basically in the eddy of a wide sweeping current a couple of hundred yards out to sea. I had roughly 100yds of good looking rock to explore and fish, and on the right hand side, the current actually sweeps itself in off of the main flow and starts going back parallel to itself and an immense speed (Jersey style, boiling water everywhere). Bass fishing in shallow water I'd be heading there every day of the week but in the case of Wrasse, I'm wondering if this isn't so ideal.

What are people's thoughts fo fishing for Wrasse near strong current. Does the obvious lack of kelp make a big difference? Should I be heading elsewhere? I could escape the current in a few of the little bays, but while I was there the current mostly drew my attention just because it was so insanely strong for these parts.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Sounds like you have described very accurately a mark we fished on sunday! Spooky...

The current was too quick to fish effectively when I was exposed to the main flow, but by fishing the edges, it was possible to fish effectively using only 7-10g. I only had one, but that came from rock with very little weed growth. I could also see bare rock and had fish follow over quite barren looking areas.

I am far from experienced at this HRF Wrasse stuff, but have had a few now, and if I had to choose a mark, current wouldn't be massively high on the agenda. Boulders seems to play a very large part, and weed is always good also. I am always concentrating my casts into the deeper holes as well.

Some of the rest of the CI HRF Massive will no doubt provide their views shortly. In fact Keith and Rictchie are HRF'ing as we speak.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mark. The current really surprised me here. As it swings in and turns there's lovely calm spot where you can imagine any food that doesn't get swept around the corner settling. There'll be so many ways to fish this place I think, for Pollack too. The current eventually runs almost directly away from you on a certain point and its possible to trot a 7g jighead absolutely miles before it reaches bottom. Its probably 30 feet deep and although i didn't catch, I think there must be plenty of fish aroound there - of one species or another. It'll be a major case of seeing where they're sitting though.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, loads of bites and some follow ups but no fish. Another pkt of Xlayers de rattled and smashed though. Stingers from tomorrow.

On current:

I think current is important but as a combination deal with boulders, gravel, weed, etc. So far, all the best HRF spots have some current pushing onto or near them at some state of the tide.
Wrasse also seem like Toads in that they follow the Sun (whereas Toads follow the Moon). Sun side of reef's etc seem favourite right now. Wrasse will also come up onto very hard reef as the tide rises and they seem to take residence or temporarly hide in holes or boulder piles. Again, I'd say they get tighter to the bottom, the boulder's and the edges as the current increases. Wrasse are much like Bass in this respect. It's just a matter of time before the HRF boys start reporting rogue Bass on Wrasse HRF missions.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting about the sun keith. Spose thats the sort of pattern you only see if you're really out catching a few (or more).

Places I've caught plenty of wrasse before have not generally been near much current (you just don't see it like that in many places around here), whcih is why confidence was a bit hit and miss when I found this new area. I'm sure it'll be a very good spot to fish, but needs my head to be in it. Think I might go to a more reliable spot within the next few days to catch a few and play with technique, then go back to the first mark with more confidence(hopefully).

I can see this type of fishing hugely affecting bass techniques if it proves successful. Deep water bass fishing isn't something that most people do much of yet (including me), but especially in colder times it could be teh thing to master. Learning to properly bounce baits across and through the bottom structure will prove advantageous for all species, and actually in all depths. just got to make it work now...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Interesting question.

They must be one of the most versatile fish species.

I have had wrasse off deepwater heads that scream with current at some states of tide. Sometimes on 85g heads and 7" shads. They are feisty little buggers.

Off the shore I've had them in gutters that flow strongly on rise and ebb. On beaches with strong lateral currents, well away from reefs.

One tip off the shore, well it works for me, is to look for holes on the bottom (rock, pebble, boulder or sand) where loose seaweed accumulates to rot and can be seen at low tide. The reason it stays there can sometimes be a dead spot in the current and from my freediving days I know that wrasse love hunting over seaweed like that.

The Jersey HRF guys will recognise at least one gulley where that happens and where we have done OK. Granted it is very very scary going down there in the dark........

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I have found over the years that wrasse can come from marks with currant and also right inside bays and slack water areas, they are indeed very versatile. I have had them in heavy weed covered areas, and also on shingle bottom between boulders or below straight down rock marks. To be honest I just think here in the channel islands it would be easier explain the places you dont get them. They do seem to come in spates too, I have stood on rock marks right through different states of tide, weather and sizes of tides and the wrasse do seem to come on the feed for periods of time. I used to think they seemed to be passing by, like a shoal of fish, but as I snorkeled alot when I was younger I know they just dont do that. They are an amazing species and I love fishing for them, they are the best scrappers too, excellent power to weight ratio!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wrasse in current

I have always found that some tide movement or current helps, how many times have you been fishing at low or slack water with nothing happening. Then as soon as the tide starts to move fish start to feed. I caught this one today on xlayer in 4 knots of tide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have always found that some tide movement or current helps, how many times have you been fishing at low or slack water with nothing happening. Then as soon as the tide starts to move fish start to feed. I caught this one today on xlayer in 4 knots of tide.
Stunning fish Andrew, I bet that gave a good scrap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts