Long casting shallow runner | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Long casting shallow runner

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Salmon

Ok what do you recon is the longest casting shallow runner (less than 2 foot to keep things simple), Any weight, any maker??

2. Pollock

arrived today,shore line shiner 170.looks and feels like it will fly.

3. Perch

It does!! its like an absolute bullet!!

4. Salmon

The brilliant Daiwa R50+ SSR has a purpose designed long casting brother, called the Shore Line Shiner R50LD - FG. Maybe worth a look.

Careful with the Shiner 17's, I've had them and they are very very good, long casting, but they dive a bit deeper than I liked, ruling them out for proper over the top of reef fishing

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pollock

zonk yoro yoro casts like a bullet

6. Sausage!

definately the daiwa shore liner 175 will put it against anything

• Like Like x 1
  7. Striper

gatarides got to be the cleanist caster

8. Chub

I have the Fishing Ape yellow camo special edition of the R50 LD, it does cast very well for its size but I think swims a bit deeper than SL's.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  9. Perch

yes - zonks are pretty good

10. Guest

Dave I fired out the Daiwa R50 SSR for the first time on saturday no fish,but really pleased with the distance,regularly cast good distances.IMA Houndglide does the distance as well but not a lot of colour selection at the moment

11. Striper

Look to Eric's - I have a Mr Joe and a small err Bigfoot that both fly like the Xorus Bad Boy ...

12. Striper

i call a shallow diver suitable for shallow reefs something which will dive NO MORE than 1ft................so what great casting lures are there out there which will do that? i would love to have some ( but only if they are less than tenner lol)

cheers

tight arse Trev

13. Salmon

Don't know Trev, this thread is 2' or less.

Cheers Alex, I am thinking a 35g S-Kiv would get a place amoungst the top few casters distance wise

14. Striper

The IMA Hound Glide goes out a long long way Only tried it in a head wind so far though

15. Guest

Yep agree , if your talking bib-less I think you will be hard pressed to get anything that fly's further than Mr Joe or S-Kiv

16. Tarpon

X140's run shallow & cast surprisingly well. Worth adding to the short list.

17. Sea Trout

Trev / Dave

I apreciate they are probably not a "shallow runner" in the sense this thread origionaly meant, but a lure that can be fished at a shallow depth and casts further than anything else mentioned is a bass bullet. I used to fish a reef from the shore and the 60g BB was the only thing I could reach the holding spot for the bass and they worked! So good were they that I also used to use them on the same reef once I had a boat even though distance was not the issue. The heavy ones sink fast but you can Walk the dog with then just under the surface or a foot or 2 down. If they came in sexy finishes and packaging and cost more (they are about 6 quid) they'd be all the rage. Thinking about it I dont know why I havent used one for a few years - especially given they appeal to my tight fisted side.

Matt

• Like Like x 4
  18. Salmon

Great call Matt, Vintage maybe, but totally agree they reach places that few other lures do. I can't think of a single reason why I haven't got a couple in my box. Many thanks Matt

19. Pollock

Tide minnow 145, really fly’s from the Super mix...:)

20. Pollock

After having a go with them over the weekend I was amazed on the casting distance of the X 3 and the Storm Flutter stick,these look deadly retrieved slow just under the surface , I must give these a go at night soon as they give a very nice wake as well.

Gary