Long casting shallow runner | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Long casting shallow runner

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Mar 26, 2012.

1. A

2. Striper

A bit off the wall here but a Tackle House Int does the job provided you don't stop winding......

3. Sea Trout

two lures Im thinking about are the Duo terrif and , one of my pleasant surprises of last year, the Smith Haluca(which also comes in a sinking version) The shorelineshiners 17 and the gatarides cast really well too but run a little bit deep.

4. Perch

Bass bullet for me too, nothing comes close.

5. Striper

the x 3 casts a long way but i know that you use them dave

6. Pollock

For the lighter rod brigade you can't beat the X-120(11gms)
    Casts straight, true and a long way.
    Dive's to about 1-1.5ft.
    More importantly catches lots of bass.
    Removing the middle treble only improves it too.

Cheers Nath

• Like Like x 3
  7. Striper

Ima Honey Trap goes a very long way, again shallow runner if you wind as soon as it plops.

8. Striper

2nd vote for the smiths haluca, better caster than a sld. big maxrap flies if it goes well on your rod.

9. Snapper

Second that, on Sunday My friend was casting with a feed shallow and was only getting two thirds of the distance I was getting with a X-120! Seriously bloody good lure.

X-140 is the muts nuts to though.

10. Striper

11. Pike

Of the shallow divers I have the one that casts the furthest and has actually caught bass is the Feedshallow Plus.

I've had a single bass on the IMA Honey Trap running deep, which is probably the furthest casting plug in my box. As someone above mentions, it is possible to get that to run fairly shallow if you start winding immediately. Though, in my experience, you need to keep the retrieve speed up.

12. Banned

X-140 gets my vote too.

13. Striper

14. Salmon

I have to say I think in pure distance terms Matt's reconmendation of the Bass Bullet is the winner, Had one arrive today (cheers Mick) and I think it might be a bit heavier than claimed (27g), but it is a tail weighted missle. Will give it a fling later, and can't wait to get it on the Stealth!!! And REALLY give it the beans. OLD SKOOL ROCKS!!

15. Pike

Dave, I didn't mention the bass bullet as others did and .... well .... I still haven't managed to catch on one! Not even during my first time round at this lark years ago. However, it's such a cheap lure that the treble and split ring fitted to the couple I have were awful, so I changed them. Second, I recall Mike Ladle writing that although they catch bass, the single rear fitted treble isn't great for a fish that likes to side swipe. So, I fitted an assist hook to the top of mine - doesn't seem to impact on casting. Action though, not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chub

Dave ill put my own 1 3/4oz darter cast very well could`nt see it after leaving it sat out there (flouro pink) and if reeled in slower than slow it goes down about 1ft wind slightly faster and it digs deep.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chub

iv`e been very impressed with the duo terrifs dc 12 so far.casts miles,way better than the feed shallow.

18. Mackerel

Hi Guys

I had thought the Jackson Athlete Slim had been overlooked as it does fly, as does the Duo SLD. I thought they were good, until...... I just bought the Megabass Gartaride and wow..... it shoots out like a bullet and flies further than any of my others at a lighter weight - 80 -90 yards ! Certainly better than my x-140. It is only 18 grams and goes like a bullet much further than any of my others. In addition it flies straight as a bolt with very little tumbling. I think it is about to become my favourite lure, especially as I have caught 8 fish in two outings with it. I only wish it fished a little shallower, it looks like it's about a metre, but then I could always hold my rod up......