The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new, heavy duty, long landing net handle, preferably telescopic but push in ones seem pretty good (unless you stand on them).

I don't seem to get on very well with them and they never seem to last very long as they gat some serious abuse.

Mainly for fishing rock marks where a drop net is not possible and where rocks can be too dangerous to get close to the water to net a fish.

The handle has to be able to pull a fish up (i.e. handle high and net below me at water level) and also sometimes lift a fish at full stretch.

3m would be good. 4m even better.

I have seen some people using some sort of homemade contraptions which look like they may be painters poles modified somehow?? Do those come with a standard 1/2 inch thread like what's on a net??

Any help appreciated.

Need to be able to handle the 20lb bass I am going to catch this summer ;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
hi andy, im a painter and the std thread is 3/4"" for roller poles, you could always get an adapter made, think 3 or 4 metre would be fine but above that i use a 6mtre sometimes would be quite heavy, ope that helps

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Andy.

I think you may struggle to find one with that strength at that length. Lifting fish at full stretch horizontally will break most handles for sure.

There obvioulsy isn't much out there for sea anglers wanting these types of things.

Specimen (carp) handles are strong obviously, but they won't make them over 3m. On the coarse/match side you will find them long enough, but the majority could struggle getting banged about in saltwater conditions. Long handles are also pretty expensive.

I'd definitely go telescopic though rather than take apart because at some point you will end up vertically pulling a decent fish up a wall/rock. With the handle pointing straight down there is a (small) chance that the sections could come apart. Bad bad.

For saltwater strength and value, I'd go for a fairy middle of the road fibreglass/cmoposite version. Carbon handles will be way lighter and stiffer, but they're expensive and less durable.

Companies like Drennan make the best ones I think, but you may struggle to find a telescopic one in their range unfortunately. Other than that though, they would make decent saltwater handles. Very strong for their weight. Saying that, have noticed this one: http://www.rodnline.com/3889008/Dre...le&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid3889008

Ideal, apart from not packing up less than 1.6m.

There may be others but I literally only did a very quick search for Drennan handles. Its been a couple of years since I was fully clued-up.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I need a new, heavy duty, long landing net handle, preferably telescopic but push in ones seem pretty good (unless you stand on them).

I don't seem to get on very well with them and they never seem to last very long as they gat some serious abuse.

Mainly for fishing rock marks where a drop net is not possible and where rocks can be too dangerous to get close to the water to net a fish.

The handle has to be able to pull a fish up (i.e. handle high and net below me at water level) and also sometimes lift a fish at full stretch.

3m would be good. 4m even better.

I have seen some people using some sort of homemade contraptions which look like they may be painters poles modified somehow?? Do those come with a standard 1/2 inch thread like what's on a net??

Any help appreciated.

Need to be able to handle the 20lb bass I am going to catch this summer ;-)

Cheers
I have used the Drennan twist & lock extendable handle for a good while when bream and tench fishing and it is good and surprisingly strong, but not overly lightweight.

The Conoflex twist & lock handles is another great option that is somewhat lighter than the Drennan version.

http://www.leslies-luton.co.uk/store/category/20/187/CONOFLEX-LANDING-NET-HANDLES/

However, if you want to go the full hog it has to be this one :jump::jump::twisted::twisted::twisted:

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/...ng-big/auto-king-frame-48-550x-any-color.html

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weight is always an issue as I am fishing alone 90% of the time so it's one handed operation, well one handed as in using it to land fish, I tend to set a net up before I make the first cast and carry it about with me after that putting the handle back in if needed.

I like the look of the twist lock ones. All I can get locally is some metal poles with plastic fittings holding the two sections together and they are NOT capable of hauling a fish in, the glue is less than brilliant. Had it fail on me before. I am also not too keen on the push in ones as lifting vertically is often required. They are a bit flimsy as well when it comes to rock fishing.

The Plat one looks good!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Japanese tele 5mtr handles are being sourced m8.

They can operate 1 handed.

Like Ben said though, vertical lift not horizontal. They break for sure, I know.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Don't get me wrong, i WANT ONE(!!!!), but I think we may find here that long Japanese style handles (with a net on the end) catch the wind a lot and will at times be hard to handle. Like I say though, I'l still end up getting one eventually!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, when I say horizontal, it's more net the fish, wrap it up and drag it along the surface towards you to lift as vertical as possible.

I just get fed up of spending £25 on a 3m handle, normally push in, which doesn't even last a season... The telescopic ones are usually a bit weak for some reason. I don't see why they can't be made better for the UK market.

I'll go have a longer browse...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Andy,
You can get what you want up to 4 m in 1 metre fibre glass sections which are light and will fold up in the rucksack or stow away pretty good. They might not take the battering as some have pointed out but better than carrying a heavy pole around with you and if the weather and seas are that bad that you have to be higher you have to think...should I be fishing in this??

I still think they are a good idea....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts