Longest casting seabass minnow - opinions | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Longest casting seabass minnow - opinions

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Pike

I've spent a fair bit of time casting minnow plugs off the beach here in Durban and distance is important - especially with an onshore wind. I'd be interested to hearing about your favourite distance minnow plugs in the 20-30g range. Based on my observations I'd rank the ones I've used (best to worst) roughly as follows:

Tacklehouse K2F 142 - easy winner, not much bothered by the wind, I reckon a genuine 70m is doable in perfect conditions with 11' rod, 5000 reel and PE1.5
    Duo Tide Minnow 145SLD - definite no. 2

After this it gets trickier but :

Duo Tide Minnow 125SLD
    Duo Surf Minnow 135
    Duo Tide Slim 175
    Duo Tide Slim 200

Not sure about the Daiwa Shoreline Shiners or any of the IMA minnows?

What I've found interesting is that sometimes the lighter, more compact minnows seem to throw better than something slightly heavier and bulkier.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Striper

My view, Megabass Zonk and IMA Hound 125 will outcast all those mentioned. If you remove the middle hook you will gain a fair few yards as well.

3. Striper

Megabass zonks cast well.
    Oops just noticed previous post!

4. Striper

Its okay, its true. Zonk used to be my goto lure against a headwind. Then I discovered the Hound and now I have a choice - neither right or wrong, just more options!

5. Banned

Duo tide minnow 145 sld sinking version.... With a longer drop it goes like a missile

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salmon

The Daiwa SL17 is probably the longest cast I've ever consistently made with a sub 30g diving (bibbed) plug. Other than that it'd be needles, and sinking stick type baits that can really get some backing to show!

7. Pike

Mmmm I'm dubious about that but I've got a Zonk and will certainly put it to the test - I use metred braid so I can make a reasonable comparison. I'm still backing the K2F 142 although probably not fair to cast it H2H (at 27g) with the lighter Zonk - when I get my hands on a K2F 122 that will be a fairer comparison. Might have to eat my words though...

This http://translate.google.co.za/trans...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=681 Portugese blog (Robalo-something) said in a test (175 Flyer v SL17) that the longest caster was the Flyer, especially so in a crosswind. There was an interesting comment about how some lures are adversely affected by a hyper-fast rod - tallies with my experience - when casting minnows a slower rod and casting action seem to work better than quick snap casts.

I'll also try the tip about the middle treble - makes sense. Incidentally I'm distinctly underwhelmed by the Tacklehouse M168 (from a distance POV) although it is an old design.

8. Chub

With Jon completely - plenty of lures fly, but that IMA Hound 125F Glide is a joke how well it goes, and from admittedly only a few casts, it feels like the IMA Hound 125F Fang might be going even further, plus it comes with two sets of trebles on there instead of three.

9. Pollock

does anything cast further than a zip baits monsoon breaker ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Striper

Another vote for the hound glide 125

The sonic flys to for only 100mm

11. Amberjack

not a pure diver but it aint a surface lure really either

Xorus Bad Boy :x

12. Striper

Duo narabone aint bad either.

13. Striper

I thought about mentioning the Bad Boy as it flies out faster than Concorde! I big casting lure indeed.

14. Amberjack

well it's not a minnow exactly but you can belt one with Carls 11 foot Yamaga to Mombasa!

15. Chub

Got high hopes for the little Hound 100F Sonic this year Pete, lost a couple to some Moroccan rocks though...............

16. Striper

yup I agree, the sonic is going to account for a lot of fish this year. I was blasting it out on PE1 and it bloody flew man.

Talking of braid your "Upgrade" is orderd and should be with you within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers

17. Sea Trout

that diawa sl17 bloody flys out, gutted i lots mine. i need to back to jersey to buy another at a decent price.

18. Pike

Interesting - no K2F users - I think this one is a bit of a sleeper - c'mon Henry in the interests of angling journalism if nothing else please get a 122 or 142 and give it a lash and tell us what you think. I've thrown a lot of lures and it really is something else. For those who haven't seen it here's a pic. Has 2 hooks and there are some interesting features built in to accentuate body roll and aerodynamics - there is a whole write-up on the Tacklehouse website about its testing and development. I reckon in the Tacklehouse range the Feed Shallow gets the lion's share of the attention...not always fairly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Salmon

Especially as the feed shallow casts like a sanitary towel. Or how I would imagine a sanitary towel would cast.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Striper

Smith haluca does the tide minnows for distance.