Longest casting seabass minnow - opinions | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Longest casting seabass minnow - opinions

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Jan 21, 2014.

1. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Duo Tide Minnow 175 SLD-S (sinking version). I am yet to find a proper "minnow" lure that casts as well, can be worked slow or fast, and can be worked at any depth....what else do you need? I have stopped using deep diving lures these days as a sinking minnow (imho) works better when allowed to sink deep, it also hasnt got a great big bib sticking out. The 145 SLD-S is nearly as good with the distance but the 175 being a few more grams just pips it. Into wind with a nice low powerful cast these things fly out like exocets.

2. Pike

With so many strongly held opinions there has to be an opportunity for a proper test and write-up on this topic - Henry you heard it here first! Yellowstone Angler does their famous fly rod shoot outs - TLF could do the same - likely lure contenders are mailed to HG who sets up a trial and writes up the results. Would be a useful resource for all of us and give some exposure to the brands.

All in favour say Aye!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

4. Striper

The right towel can go quite bloody far Mark :wink:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. Chub

The thought of a lure distance shootout thing sounds fun Rolfe, but with how precious many anglers are about the lengths of their rods, the supposed distances they can cast, imaginary loyalty to a lure brand and other such variables, I would be tempted to leave that kind of thing to the experts...............might be fun though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pike

I reckon you could get around those issues by using the same rig for all lures submitted (likely 20-28g) and take the average distance of 5 casts and note the longest cast for each lure. What Yellowstone Angler do is get more than one caster per rod and then have a point-counterpoint debate. Could be a fun afternoon for a few lads - I wish I was closer! That way everyone could still believe that on their rig their chosen lure is still the best.

7. Striper

I am not aware of anyone who even sells this lurein the UK. I've seen some on the French websites but never in the UK.

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

Very wise.

8. Chub

Would be interesting to know how far some of these lures actually go, but at the end of the day does it mean anything ? I see these distances quoted by some of the Japanese lure companies and they seem mightily impressive, but casting lures over grass in no wind is like tournament casting in the beachcaster world - fun/impressive or whatever, but it bears no correlation to "real" distances when out fishing.

Oh, and thank you Jon !! Best left alone me feels..................

9. Perch

every one of my lures has cast way to far for the fish since September last year

10. Pollock

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amberjack

105mm goes better than the 128mm IMO

but they are plap compared to most other minnow type lure

12. Sea Trout

With the right conditions (following wind),A good cast,good casting position,lures like a patch2 can reach 100 yards.
    Into a head wind 50 yards would be massive!

13. Sandeel

rolfe - how you getting on with the tacklehouse k2f - had a look at the range - look pretty impressive

14. Sea Trout

Like Matthew said the Smith Haluca , especially 145s version. The Illex Watermonitor and Jackson Athlete s cast pretty good as well. With strong headwinds I go for the good old Zonk.

15. Chub

My own wood needle 28gram lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pike

Curt

The casting is good - the catching mmmm.... I reckon they throw further than any of the long profile minnows the guys are throwing off the beach here - a genuine innovation by the TH designer.

17. Sandeel

Thanks Rolfe - will have a look again and give you a shout - tackle box packed, off to the Transkei for the weekend - cant .... wait

18. Pike

the tournament casting sounds like the results would take about 2 minutes to read and store away as good info.i have lures that cast really good distances and lures that catch really well,there is some crossover ,i.e some that achieve abit of both depending on where i fish.this obviously all changes when something new and shinny comes on the market or when i go to the garage and see something i have not used for awhile due to arrival of new shinny things.distance is just one of many variables,and that varies with the person and equipment.

19. Banned

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  20. Pollock

Tackle House INT. No contest.