The Lure Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
I'm kinda new to plugging and new on here but have been fly fishing and spinning for a while . . . I started plugging last year and i'm twitching to get busy this year !!. . . . I've posted on wsf and had some fantastic advice from some really helpful guys and was advised to inquire on here as you guys are the bees !!! (hoping flattery will get me some good feedback !). I've noticed a few names on here that are also on there. Thanks for your remarks so far, I just thought I might get a few different responses on here...

If I may, i'll let you know what i'm using which will hopefully help with advice . . I have a :

... Berkley Skeletor 10ft spinning rod 8-32g used for soft baits/live eel, and a

... Snowbee 4 section 9ft Deep Blue Spinning rod 20 - 50g (basically a travel rod) which I use for plugging and 20-30g poppers
(haven't caught with popper, only tried a few times !)

So, I suppose my question is this, will I notice much difference using a Tenryu Red Luck Super Distance or maybe a Supermix 240, or a Rod Bar ? Either of which I would like to use for plugging, softbaits and light popping. . . .

Thanks very much in advance or your time and advice, very greatly appreciated. . .

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Hi there Jerry !! As a starter for 10, if you want to use soft-baits as you've indicated, then you probably don't want the Rod Bar, as it won't provide the sensitivity you require. The Supermix will (i bought one recently, and used it with s/p's last weekend, and it was lovely). I don't know much about the Red Luck, but from memory it's longer than the Supermix, so may not be as nice on the s/p's ?

Anyway, hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Jerry, there are guys on here using all of the above rods so I am sure you can get some good advice. It will help them to know exactly what sort of lures you will expect to be fishing with your new rod and what sort of ground you will be fishing. Best bet would be to meet up with someone for a fishing session and have a few casts with the rods in question. Not sure how many guys on here are in your part of Devon, but there are plenty of guys in Cornwall (bit of a hike, but if you are spending that sort of money on a rod you want to get the right one!). Best answer of all is to call **** at MrFish Jersey as he sells all of these rods and can guide you through the differences between them. Good luck!

Reactions: Jerry Horn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Griff,
Sorry, I forgot to mention which lures I have . . .
I know it's a little limited, but, I have :

Duo Tide Minnow 135 Surf H32-TS Orange Gold
Duo Tide Minnow 125 SLD D99-DM Holo Sandeel
Duo Tide Minnow 145SLD A104-SH
Maria Chase BW

Xorus - Asturie - 150 - Samote
Lucky Craft Gunfish 115

Hope this helps, thanks.

Megabass Xlayer
Slug'n Go 6"

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Jerry! Welcome to the site! I'm one of the Cornwall boys so not too far away.

I don't have too much experience with the red rods but I think probably Nathan (Taylor) down this way may have one or 2 that you might be able to try? Hopefully he'll see this and let you know. Either way, if you fancy coming down to fish with us in Cornwall, just let us know.

Nice selection of lures so you're probably after an allrounder by the looks of it. Out of those, the Supermix is probably the middle ground(?) I think, and will do it all nicely. It won't be as perfect with surface lures as the Rod Bar would, but will be way better with soft baits. Its still a little bit of a compromise. Always is I guess.

Also, as a side note; I don't know how much you've though about it or been told, but don't get the impression that you NEED a red rod. 2 years ago there was a much smaller range of suitable rods available, and it was either cheap, or red. These days though, there are quite a few rods for around half the price of the Tenryu's that do a pretty damn good job of anything you want to chuck at them. Sorry if I'm sounding like a plonker, but as a relative newbie to the plugging game, I wouldn't want to set you off with the misconception that red rods are mandatory. You could also consider rods from Sakura, Grauvell etc and still find a rod that you'll love :-D

Reactions: Simon Clapham

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Mix 240 or red luck super distance.

will be tough, and you'll need to compromise but....

any of those will be a revelation by comparison to what you have.

Just don't kill the feel with too heavy a braid. 15lb is more than enough.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Let me tell you a little story......

I have been plugging for many years and have tried many rods, I have rods which are perfect for certain types of fishing but what was lacking was a really good bass plugging rod. Anyway, after reading Henry's articles and his blog I bought a Rod Bar 270. The RB270 is an excellent rod, well balanced but not right for me. Too powerful and too long were the obvious traits.
So then I bought a Super Mix 240 again on recommendation. Nice rod, again well balanced, very soft tip relative to the power of the rod as a whole. Nice rod for soft plastics but still not right. I already had a Daiwa Tournament Sea Bass 8ft and apart from the SM240 having a slightly softer tip they aren't that different.
Then I went to Jersey on holiday. I went into ****'s shop and picked up a Super Distance. Now, to ME, this rod is a revelation. I know it is personal preference but my belief is that most people are using more powerful rods than they need for bass around these coasts. How heavy do you fish?, what size lures do you use? Do you need a longer rod for reach or casting? Do you need a more powerful rod to deal with current? etc etc EVERYBODY has different needs.

So what is the point of this little story? TRY before you buy if you possibly can. All the above rods are excellent and for what they are designed for likely to be the best you can get in this country but they are all VERY different. Finding which one suits your needs is a nightmare sometimes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looking at your lure selection i would go with the Tenryu Red Luck Super Distance (8'3'') or the Tenryu Injection (7'3''), both rods will handle most of the plugs we use throughout the year and cope with all your soft plastic work as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Let me tell you a little story......

I have been plugging for many years and have tried many rods, I have rods which are perfect for certain types of fishing but what was lacking was a really good bass plugging rod. Anyway, after reading Henry's articles and his blog I bought a Rod Bar 270. The RB270 is an excellent rod, well balanced but not right for me. Too powerful and too long were the obvious traits.
So then I bought a Super Mix 240 again on recommendation. Nice rod, again well balanced, very soft tip relative to the power of the rod as a whole. Nice rod for soft plastics but still not right. I already had a Daiwa Tournament Sea Bass 8ft and apart from the SM240 having a slightly softer tip they aren't that different.
Then I went to Jersey on holiday. I went into ****'s shop and picked up a Super Distance. Now, to ME, this rod is a revelation. I know it is personal preference but my belief is that most people are using more powerful rods than they need for bass around these coasts. How heavy do you fish?, what size lures do you use? Do you need a longer rod for reach or casting? Do you need a more powerful rod to deal with current? etc etc EVERYBODY has different needs.

So what is the point of this little story? TRY before you buy if you possibly can. All the above rods are excellent and for what they are designed for likely to be the best you can get in this country but they are all VERY different. Finding which one suits your needs is a nightmare sometimes.
Iám 100 % agree !!

A lot of fishermen use overpowered tackle.
I use a heavy rod only when necesery, trong curent or on windy days
But for all those other days i go as light as posible.
Most of the time i use a 7- to 30 grams rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.