The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
I would like to pass on a tip for not losing lures,which has worked well for me
I remove the trebles then tie them direct , either to the fixing wire or split ring with mono.It is a matter of findind the breaking strain and knot which suits
I have lost hooks but returned the lure each time ( it makes my tail wag) and not lost fish.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
It might work for you, but personally 8lb mono between the hook and plug would be far far too light-very very easy to leave trebles firmly hooked into a bass.
After a while you tend to learn how to pop most lures free if they snag.With 15 or 20lb braid you can bend out a treble if you have too, to rescue a lure. And if I am losing the odd plug-I am not too worried-still works out cheaper than buying bait for example.

Oh and not a lure monger or a maker-just a plugger.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Michael

Michael, I am sorry to have to respond to your post as negatively as this, having never corresponded with you over the forum before, but frankly I think it's an irresponsible idea. I would much rather leave a lure on the bottom than leave a treble in a fish. If you are worried about hooking bottom then try a soft plastic lure on a jig head with an upturned hook. You might even rig it weedless, there are lots of tips on the forum about such methods.

BTW I am not in the lure monger or maker category either.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
If its worked for you Michael that's great. However, i cant even begin to imagine the 'potch' of re-tying all my trebles back on with mono. With my fat fingers, i rekon i'd last no more than 3 mins before the lure got booted across the room in my temper !!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With my fat fingers, i rekon i'd last no more than 3 mins before the lure got booted across the room in my temper !!
You wouldn't do that to your beloved shiney shineys!!!

Nice idea mate, it's always good to hear other people's thoughts and seeing people thinking outside the box. Have you tried crushing the barbs/using barbless trebles and giving snagged plugs plenty of free line? Seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
smartlink

Hi Michael

There is a better sollution for losing your treble instead of the lure.
It is a brand wich supplies special splitrings for your trebble.
These splitrings open at a certain line strenght.
The are called Luresavers i think the brand is Smartlink.

Make sure you use EFTA or other good tested fishingline.
Otherwise you still loose your lure. I don't use them only know them.
A frend of mine sells those in Holland.
smartlink.jpg smartlink1.jpg

Greets

Bram

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts