The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Dave, I was getting excited at the thought of them but can't get them to play past the intro. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked it again, works for me. Not sure what to surgest-Will see if it is on youtube

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Maybe I am a year behind everyone else here but does Aji mean Scad?
Japanese horse Mackerel.

Update: Could be more to it than that though, just googling it and there is also a species know as 'Jack Fish/ Aji' of which there could be a lot of variation. I'm sure someone will know the exact answer.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Love those giant tweezer things. Used to have some like that for photography working in the dark room with chemicals. Will have to see if I still have them

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
:) sorry ****, we call them Scad too, here in dark old Devon.

Saying that, my Granddad calls them horse mac.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aji is generally Scad/Horse Mackerel-but it seems the term gets used for several other other smaller members of the jack family-like green Jack.

Cheers Matt, had found Angling Salt already, I have a few other links to good channels some Mebura stuff etc

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
In general, if the Japanese or lure packaging is referring to 'Aji' they mean 'Scad'.
They have 'whole' magazines dedicated to the species as an LRF sport.

I know many here could imagine a 'Bass' magazine but how about a 'Mackerel Monthly' or a 'Goby Globe' ?

Don't laugh. You all thought LRF wouldn't see the week out late last year. Now look where we are.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tim,
Not a dumb question at all, it is a weight used for casting LRF further, also they seem to come in differing densities, so you can vary the speed at which the lure sinks.
Allows you to reach the fish that a jighead alone won't quite reach. They are one of the things on my list of bits and bobs to order from the land of shiny plastic.

Reactions: Matt Newcombe

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tim,
For once the Japanese are keeping things simple, the straight sinkers are called "sinkers", or Caro Rigs for the more complex versions.

A translation from a web page about these:
"When the hit zone is distant and in order to fish various conditions, flying distance considerably becomes important e.g., the head wind is strong. You try if probably to extend flying distance with modification of the rig simply it makes heavy and/or attaches the split shot, increasing weight, if use you do not do the method of keeping making flying distance the ball increase the jig head it is e.g., [kiyarorigu] is used. But proper thing if weight of the rig increases, that much dropping velocity keeps becoming fast. The thing where and dropping velocity becomes fast, when fishes the fish which it can fish and has let escape in large quantity it is. [arumikiyaroshinka] is the sinker which dropping velocity is easy to search swimming layer of the fish slowly with [kiyaroshinka] which utilizes the lightness of relative importance of the aluminum alloy. The dropping velocity which will be been that slow the appeal for the fish in the fall raises hit chance high. Because and it is the aluminum make whose surface strength is high, the contact of the seabed to be easy to know is superior even in situational awareness and evasion ability of the obstacle."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts