The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe its a bit early to put this one out there, with techniques only just being tried and tested but there are enough people trying for the lighter/smaller stuff now that I just thought I'd ask to see what your theories or thoughts were on the impending Spring season. ...

What are your plans with regards to Light Rock Fishing as the water begins to warm? Assuming everyone carries on trying the lighter stuff, do you think that the tiny (30mm) baits will continue to outscore bigger baits, or do you think the larger baits (90mm) will come in to their own as the amount of life in the water grows? Will bigger meals become more appealing (to smaller species) as the amount of available food grows?

Do you think that the fish will stay where they are (especially in the harbour) or do you think they will be more willing to explore the deeper, shallower, rougher or more open ground? Or will things stay just the same as they are, but with an increased number of fish around (all over the place).

Will it be necessary to fish after dark as the water warms, or as previously discussed, would it be just as possible to catch them in daylight all year round (including now) once we have the depths and techniques more honed?

Do you think that bass will become a 'problem' by snapping up smaller lures intended for other species? (playing them will certainly be fun!)

Obviously there are no real answers to the above until we really work it out, but just out of interest, what are you guys expecting or hoping UK LRF will develop in to during Spring as the water warms?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Maybe its a bit early to put this one out there, with techniques only just being tried and tested but there are enough people trying for the lighter/smaller stuff now that I just thought I'd ask to see what your theories or thoughts were on the impending Spring season. ...

What are your plans with regards to Light Rock Fishing as the water begins to warm? Assuming everyone carries on trying the lighter stuff, do you think that the tiny (30mm) baits will continue to outscore bigger baits, or do you think the larger baits (90mm) will come in to their own as the amount of life in the water grows? Will bigger meals become more appealing (to smaller species) as the amount of available food grows?
There is always smaller food.
Match the hatch for each fish.

Do you think that the fish will stay where they are (especially in the harbour) or do you think they will be more willing to explore the deeper, shallower, rougher or more open ground? Or will things stay just the same as they are, but with an increased number of fish around (all over the place).
Our harbours are ALIVE with fish through summer. More target fish everywhere really.

Will it be necessary to fish after dark as the water warms, or as previously discussed, would it be just as possible to catch them in daylight all year round (including now) once we have the depths and techniques more honed?
24 hours m8.

Do you think that bass will become a 'problem' by snapping up smaller lures intended for other species? (playing them will certainly be fun!)
Bring it on. Bass aren't a Hassle. We are all way over gunned anyway. If you get an indication, switch to HRF.
I've had big Bass on 6#wt flyrods. LRF ain't no different really. Have some fun rather than activate the winch.

Obviously there are no real answers to the above until we really work it out, but just out of interest, what are you guys expecting or hoping UK LRF will develop in to during Spring as the water warms?
Combined with HRF and plugging, a complete list of fish. Lures for one, lures for all.

We are going right through the year. That decision is already made and we are having a blast.

Don't think it. Do it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
as keith as mentioned, we've had some huge bass on tiny 2" clouser minnows so fishing small doesn't mean just small fish, during the years we fresh water fished, we wouldn't think twice about targeting bigger fish on 2-3lb lines letting the rod and clutch do the work, yet now we all seem a lttle terrified, for me i'm really looking forward to staying on the smaller jigs, plugs, etc during the whole year just to see what can be hooked and landed, the list of fish we could target this year is large and i feel we'll see some big fish caught during this time.

kev

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what we need to do is unwrite a few rules?! For the past few years we've probably had or heard multiple conversations about big fish on big lures and how it's generally considered the way to go - yet right now the biggest fish are sounding like they're coming on the smallest lures...?!

Will be interesting to see what happens with the hard baits especially as to whether decent bass will be caught through the summer/autumn on smaller hard baits than the traditional. Personally I prefer small hard baits in pretty much every way - the way they so easily move. If more people use small baits and are successful, then perhaps the rule book will have to be rewritten. up until now, I'd suggest that probably not enough people have consistently tried small baits to create enough of an allround picture. Or maybe they have, I just don't know about it?! Coloured and more turbulent waters may end up being the only situation where a bigger lure is necessary.... who knows?

Same as you guys Kev, I have a lot of coarse fishing experience so playing BIG bass on light lines won't scare me. Only the abrasion resistance cocks it up in the sea a bit I think? Landing nets all around I think.

Species wise, I'll be trying my hardest too to try a lot of everything this year. My poor girlfriend is hardly ever gonna see me! Rough seas I'll be out after bass. Calm seas I'll be out with the light gear. So that pretty much covers 365 days of the year! Once I've got my gear sorted I'm outta here! :wink:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am sure there will be more sport to be had, mackerel and gars are an obvious addition later in the year. Bass will come to the light gear too. One thing to remember though is there is a big gulf between most people's idea of 'proper' bass gear and LRF kit. A lot of the time LRF kit will be too light so I will be using something in between.
As far as species goes, what would you be fishing for with bait in the Spring? The obvious one for me will be flounders along with schoolies and hopefully a few bream.
First of all I need to sort some Winter LRF fishing.....

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Although I havnt been out to try some of this light stuff I am looking forward to a few trips before my boat season starts. I think the use of say 5g, 7g and 10g will be used alot more this season on the boat. I realise you guys are probably thinking thats not particulary that light, well you just have to take my word that in the places I am thinking of using them it is very light. I want a slower drop, in depths of 10ft to 40ft, with tide of course. I am worried that going too light will either end up in break offs or bass being completely wrecked by a really long fight. I recon Keith got it right in an earlier post when he said you have to try and work out when to step up the anti a bit and use stronger gear. Without a doubt this season is going to be an interesting one, with the work the soft lure crew are doing and the findings they are mentioning its definately going to be interesting

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I agree with ****. I have been fishing this sort of gear for years and there are limitations as to where and when it can be used. The location and conditions are really the biggest limiting factor. The lures won't cast as far as one slightly heavier and in some cases next to useless in strong tides, windy days or if you need to cast any distance.
What will work though is something in between 'normal bass kit' and LRF kit. If you look at an Injection style of rod, 10lb braid and 10gram lures you are still fishing a lot lighter than most people's usual bass gear but you have more chance of overcoming difficult conditions. LRF kit is quite extreme, great fun when you can use it but it just doesn't work all the time. Places like harbours often you can find somewhere to tuck away and use it, but in open water it will be a different story.
You have to keep things in perspective.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I agree with ****. I have been fishing this sort of gear for years and there are limitations as to where and when it can be used. The location and conditions are really the biggest limiting factor. The lures won't cast as far as one slightly heavier and in some cases next to useless in strong tides, windy days or if you need to cast any distance.
What will work though is something in between 'normal bass kit' and LRF kit. If you look at an Injection style of rod, 10lb braid and 10gram lures you are still fishing a lot lighter than most people's usual bass gear but you have more chance of overcoming difficult conditions. LRF kit is quite extreme, great fun when you can use it but it just doesn't work all the time. Places like harbours often you can find somewhere to tuck away and use it, but in open water it will be a different story.
You have to keep things in perspective.
A lot of you trout and FW anglers will have a skills advantage initially but we should encourage anglers to be responsible and fish within their limits. No point in fueling the anti brigade.

I've used my ULX on the boat after bagging enough mackerel for a feed on "conventional" gear. Seeing mackerel and snipe charging around grabbing your lure and fighting in clear water is fun. Seeing a big thin lipped cruise up behind (but ultimately refuse unfortunately) a small Mepps is even more pucker, if you know what I mean.

BTW can anyone recommend a long telescopic landing net, say something that goes up to 12 feet for pier and rock work, with lure friendly mesh? The Egi nets look good.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have a look at freshwater match nets. Most of the handles are either telescopic or take apart and there are plenty of mesh types around designed to be fish friendly. Some of them are made of mono which should not hook up too much. Difficult to know exactly without trying them though.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I dug out carbon match net Paul. You'll see it soon no doubt.

OK:

This LRF/HRF thing obviously has plenty of mileage in it based upon what is now hundreds of fish already on various methods at various locations.

So, folks that do have an interest....

Lets get some information together.

Links for baits, soft and hard.
Methods
Gear, especially any info regards rods, reels, braid etc

What about translated articles and any related video we can watch.

So, maybe form 2 sub threads...

full of links to useful stuff. Then perhaps, link all these LRF/HRF threads together somehow on here as only 6 weeks ago we called it scratching.
Things might start to get lost and I feel this is the ideal type of fishing to get people started, involve friends, family etc
Bass lure fishing is all well and good, possibly though, not the right medium to get people involved in thinking positively about British lure prospects.

Talk Bass and immediately, you'll hear a negative side.

Everyone and his dog can enjoy the less pressured LRF/HRF species and probably, rely on getting more help too.

Get searching and typing guys.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Okay, Keith - where do you want to put this info. Will you start a thread or do you want stuff PM'd so you can manage it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts