The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I should tell all about my first successful LRF session. Thanks to **** I won the LRF prize in the birthday give away and needless to say am over the moon about it. The gear is fantastic and has really got my juices flowing with regard to the applications of this technique. I did go out last week on a very cold night (-3.5 0c) for my first foray. I have read a certain amount of LRF postings within the forum and felt confident on applying this to my first session, but when setting up it became apparent that this was not going to be as easy as I had first thought. I had been given 4lb flurocarbon leader and i'm guessing similar braid strength and just tying knots was an exercise in itself. Its been many moons since I have used and handled anything near 4lb line and quickly found that my eyes arent what they used to be as a 13 year old kid on a riverbank. I felt even more bewildered when dropping my line over the edge of polkerris harbour wall, not knowing what to expect or how to work the lure. After a while I started to feel more and more through the rod, very subtle bumps and knocks as I hit bottom or swung a cast out a bit further away from the wall and retived back along the bottom. At this point I thought I should of tried this in daylight hours for the first session but hay ho. I felt a couple of real trembling knocks but wasnt sure weather or not to strike. At an hour and a half into the session my hands were beyond numb and was forced back to the car to warm up.
My second hit at LRF was a bit more productive. I headed to Mevagissey harbour and again it was under cover of dark but there are a few flood lights to stop well oiled holidaymakers falling in the drink! I started right out on the end of the wall and is quite deep at this point. I put on an original xlayer in glow white on a 7gm jig head and felt nothing apart from bouncing the bottom. I then remembered a post by Ben Field from earlier in the year where he had most success from right under the flood lights. I moved to this spot and downsized the end tackle to a 2gm jig head and a reins sp. First cast and before the lure went 2ft down there was a copper flash and first fish on for the cormoran carbo star. It was a small fish but I was so stoked to feel it banging right through the rod to my hand. After this it was almost a fish a cast and I was having loads of fun. Almost all the fish took on the sink of a sink and draw style.
rsz_pc040016.jpg rsz_pc040014.jpg rsz_pc040017.jpg

After about 15-20 of these micro but mighty pollack I thought I would give dropshotting a go as confidence was up. I had bought a kit by savage gear (dying minnow) and after a bit of fiddling rigged up. I went back out to deeper water as I thought the dropshot lure is twice as big as the reins sp I was jigging with so didnt think the small pollack would take it. Things felt good and worked it by just letting the line go slack a few inches after feeling the weight tighten the line while still on the bottom. Sadly no takers but I was fascinated by it all. I still have a huge amount to learn and am well up for it too. I am heading back to my folks place for christmas (warwickshire)and all I can think about is the river I grew up fishing just down the road. I will certainly be taking the LRF gear and heading back to some marks I used to fish 20 yrs+ ago, just hope the perch, chubb and barbel are up for some wiggly plastic!

Attachments

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Fantastic Luke, you're on the case! Welcome to the light side!

p.s. get the attachments sorted!

p.p.s. Love the Dying Minnows!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yesssss, nice one Luke!! Will join you down there next time!! Definitely easiest inside the harbour down there innit! Great fun! :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Luke,
LRF is a laugh, like you said it takes you back to the excitement of fishing that you felt as a kid.
Well done.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
LRF sounds so easy . . . then you try it !! I think we've all experienced that first tough session Luke. Well done on getting it figured-out and landing a good number of fish :D.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Luke, I enjoyed reading that! Roll on Christmas!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nicely done Luke!!

I'm just about up and running with the LRF gear now, been scoping out some spots around Plymouth, with seriously good potential. Can't wait!!

Keep it up mate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts