The Lure Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this section could be used for just chatting about things that dont fall into the techniques or tackle sections. We could put up pictures and reports etc of any findings.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good idea Mr Ward!!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Ok, to start, the fishing has dropped off pretty dramatically since last week. I dont think we were in a purple patch for the two months or so previously, I think that was what we can expect, and that this now is a lull. The question is, why the lull? As we struggled last night, we were considering various things. Water clarity? Yes it was milky last night, due to the rain no doubt, but it was clear on weekend and still poor. Tides? The harbour area seems to fish better on the ebb, especially around LW, but I dont think that was it either, when you take into the north coast harbours fishing ok nearer HW. Temp or wind? I dont think so. Last night was perfect conditions for staying in contact and fishing light, and its been warmer which in my mind should improve fishing. What does that leave? Pressure?

There has been no let up on our part, no shortage of effort, changes have been rang aplenty. Any theories?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ok, to start, the fishing has dropped off pretty dramatically since last week. I dont think we were in a purple patch for the two months or so previously, I think that was what we can expect, and that this now is a lull. The question is, why the lull? As we struggled last night, we were considering various things. Water clarity? Yes it was milky last night, due to the rain no doubt, but it was clear on weekend and still poor. Tides? The harbour area seems to fish better on the ebb, especially around LW, but I dont think that was it either, when you take into the north coast harbours fishing ok nearer HW. Temp or wind? I dont think so. Last night was perfect conditions for staying in contact and fishing light, and its been warmer which in my mind should improve fishing. What does that leave? Pressure?

There has been no let up on our part, no shortage of effort, changes have been rang aplenty. Any theories?
Mark, Callum and I were thinking the same thing yesterday! We went to Rozel (North coast harbour) for a bumble and we fished our way through all our sp's and the weird thing was, we were getting knocks but missing them and when we thought we were fishing small and we were missing bites Callum came up with the idea of going ultra small. So I used a carolina (cheers for teaching me that) rig and half a trout bait and bang fish on and in the space of half hour, Callum and I had four decent size pollock? (I'll do a catch report but the pics aren't great)!

Point is we were going through the same questions. WHY IS THE FISHING SO POOR AT THE MOMENT? We did see 2 ok sized bass swimming surface could this make the fish move on? Squid maybe? But what was weird though was the fact that when we went ultra small the fish couldn't get enough? But why wont they take the xlayers, sidewinders even stom worms etc?

I have now learn't that keith' was right, the small baits outfish the bigger ones 9 times out of 10 but WHY?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I wonder whether there could be something in the fact that predators are all of a sudden starting to turn up in numbers? Could the small fish be a little on edge just for a short period of time perhaps, as the number of larger migratory fish increases? It would be about right, time wise?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I ended up on a size 12 hook last night for 2 fish.
A Pollack coughed up a small 1" bait that was nearly identical length, just a little fatter than the lure I was using.
I'll post a pic.

I think matching the hatch is going to be, very important indeed in LRF as we move forward.

Thanks for all pitching in guys, this is 'exactly' what is needed.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What hooks are you using keith? Presume they're barbed and eyed (although no reason not to use spades)? Are you going as heavy (Kamasan Animal stylee), or staying lighter with a carp match hook?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wonder whether there could be something in the fact that predators are all of a sudden starting to turn up in numbers? Could the small fish be a little on edge just for a short period of time perhaps, as the number of larger migratory fish increases? It would be about right, time wise?
yep my thoughts exactly ben! but im still not 100% its just a guess, but what threw my theory out the window was we saw two bass and caught pollack so squid maybe? because every time i spot a squid catch rates drop dramatically!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The live weather station thing for Jersey that I use has not updated since the 21st, otherwise I'd have easily been able to show a graph of pressure over the last 7 days. Just a crap set of tides?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Pressure system
Fish bombed out
Crap tides
Wrong moon
Crap wind
Storm/swell coming
Worm spawning
Lack of ability

The list is endless. Got to keep trying! Missed two specimens last night LOL.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Pressure system
Fish bombed out
Crap tides
Wrong moon
Crap wind
Storm/swell coming
Worm spawning
Lack of ability

The list is endless. Got to keep trying! Missed two specimens last night LOL.
One of those had a massive head !
And Kevin got bust off on a prawn !
Crazy session.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I reckon the fishing has dropped of because all the boy fish are luring the girl fish.

My reasoning for this is that my experiance in Pedigree dogs is that the dogs tend to go off their food, especially the boys.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I reckon the fishing has dropped of because all the boy fish are luring the girl fish.

My reasoning for this is that my experiance in Pedigree dogs is that the dogs tend to go off their food, especially the boys.
That Chris, is actually a very good theory. Top points that man.

Research required me thinks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts