The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I am struggling so looking for some answers to what should be simple questions.
What kind of ground do I need to be covering LRF/HRF with soft plastics to maximise results? Talking generally about targetting wrasse, bass and pollack with whatever else thrown in potentially Mackerel and Garfish are the likely other targets.
I have been fishing deeper marks, maybe 20ft or so of water, mixed ground with weed beds in close. Also been on even deeper marks with kelp and gravel beds in 40-60ft of water which happen to also have a cross tide about 30 yards out of about 6 knots according to the old tide map for average spring tides. Had a few small pollack and a wrasse on that one as there are some boulders in close to work the lures up bouncing the boulders. it's hard to fish though due to the tide. Not had anything on the drop yet.
What should I try looking for. From the pictures the Jersey guys have posted it looks like low water, deeper water with kelp close in?? Or are the barnacle rocks bare rock? what sort of ground is beyond the rocks? Are we looking for pinnacles with kelp growing on them? Does it matter?
Should I be trying shallower marks less than 10ft and lighter lures in heavy cover? Will I end up with more lost lures?? Should I try sandy beaches??
I've had so many blanks HRF and LRF and normal hard lures that I want to give up. The best results have come from harbours but it's pollack only so far.
The angling here at the moment is dire. There are no bass being caught and very few anything else. As far as I know there are only mackerel and pollack in any numbers and those seem to be very mark specific and on marks where I do not want to be with the string of feather boys chucking them about all around me.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
you are asking some great questions there.

I will try to answer them later but I'm just about to go out.

It's weird because, only yesterday we were saying..

We can't remember our last blank day or night. Don't get me wrong, sometimes we blow out on a particular spot but, it doesn't take long before we find fish generally.

More later.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have been fishing deeper marks, maybe 20ft or so of water, mixed ground with weed beds in close.
We've found deepwater crap Andy.

Also been on even deeper marks with kelp and gravel beds in 40-60ft of water which happen to also have a cross tide about 30 yards out of about 6 knots according to the old tide map for average spring tides. Had a few small pollack and a wrasse on that one as there are some boulders in close to work the lures up bouncing the boulders. it's hard to fish though due to the tide.
We fish area's that are heavily exposed to tide and current but, we don't generally fish them at such times unless there is a definite inside seam.

Not had anything on the drop yet.
That totally surprises me and yet, doesn't at the same time. It actually takes a number of factors to be working together to understand OTD takes. Not suggesting for a second you don't get it but...., unless you really know how to 'line weight' or 'line watch' and you have the right gear in the right place at the right time, you will likely fail.

What should I try looking for. From the pictures the Jersey guys have posted it looks like low water, deeper water with kelp close in?? Or are the barnacle rocks bare rock? what sort of ground is beyond the rocks? Are we looking for pinnacles with kelp growing on them? Does it matter?
Look for deep water 'access', boulders, weed but near kelp, not in it unless swimming jigs. Hard ground that looks barren bar a few pools and boulders can fish surprisingly well on incoming tides. We think, fish follow the sun. It's but a theory but bear it in mind. You will enjoy 100% more success by casting in, maintaining contact, hitting bottom and doing NOTHING else for at least 20 seconds. Than shake and wait again. After that, sharply ! strike the lure UPWARD with a crisp but not huge upward stroke from the wrist and immediately 'line weigh' again to feel the jig make bottom contact. This method is good for Bass and Wrasse.

Should I be trying shallower marks less than 10ft and lighter lures in heavy cover? Will I end up with more lost lures?? Should I try sandy beaches??
Yes, yes but heavy jigs with smaller lures and smaller hooks have more immediate presence. Lost jigs ? Oh yea, at first it'll drive you NUTS. However:
You will get better. We used to lose upwards of 2 dozen jigs a session. now it might be a couple. Best way is to cast in, weigh the line and jig and LEAVE IT ALONE. Let it snag in a fish, not a rock.

I've had so many blanks HRF and LRF and normal hard lures that I want to give up. The best results have come from harbours but it's pollack only so far.
Don't do that, I might make a trip over in a few weeks if you fancy a get together.

The angling here at the moment is dire. There are no bass being caught and very few anything else.
I'd bet you are wrong there Andy. Traditional lure methods here are showing similar results to what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We've found deepwater crap Andy.
This could be one area where different areas differ? I haven't reported all of my short trips (some haven't been so successful), but I have caught quite a majority of pollack, mackerel, gars etc. in deeper water (20'+) - everything bar bass. HRF sessions have been in shallower water but attacking deep water with metal baits has been very successful so far.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was referring to Wrasse when talking about deep water Ben.
Thought you might have been. Just reassuring Andy that areas like the one he's describing do hold fish here. Best attacked LRF.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses there.

My best SP wrasse, the 3-15, came in 40ft of water... the small one last night while the mark itself was shallow due to the rocks ona shallow slope up the water 40 yards out is 30ft at low tide. I have had no sign of wrasse at low tide there though.

Re OTD takes, I am casting the lure, bail arm over, tighten so I have contact with the lure and hold the line all the way, I know I can feel the lure, just not had a take yet, other than the bass I was taking last november on the SP's, The first hit which I missed as it nearly ripped the rod out of my hand was OTD and I am 99% sure was a decent bass from experience I now have.

Is it worth fishing the more traditional bait wraase marks, as in mixed beaches which dry at low and fish as they fill in.

had this chap on bait just a short lob out in 8ft of water. Went well on the bass rod!! Thinking of giving it a try. "Shingle" beach (not as the UK lads will know them) the shingle then breaks onto mixed ground with weed and boulders, fresh water outlet. Yes, it's a bass mark.

Water Sky Goggles Sunglasses Smile

I just need to hone it a bit. I am good friends with the local spearos and have had report of bass and some monster rockies on a mark which I haven't fished in years. Looks like the next neap low trip is sorted!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and per the local angling. The bait boys are fishing long hours with crab and nothing, same for standard lures and so far with my HRF and LRF efforts in bassy areas. 90% of spear fishing trips have resulted in no bass seen, and that's from guys with 30+ years experience of hunting them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Is it worth fishing the more traditional bait wraase marks, as in mixed beaches which dry at low and fish as they fill in.
Yes !

Andy:

Re: OTD

Use lighter lines and smaller lures. Really small and you might be surprised.

2 - 3" is getting the majority of our Bass right now and that's in the dark too. Don't think they wont find it. They will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts