The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that was an interesting quick trip.

Decided to "sod it" and went to one of our marina's at low water, just a few foot of water round the edges but that's plenty!!

LRF rod the Shimano Salty Shot 2-10g, reins rockvibe 2 inch I think, clear colour.

2 casts and a huge fish on!! Monster battle to swing it up the wall...

Sorry, phone cam on self timer, couldn't balance the thing right so it's an odd shot...

ReinsGiantGoby.jpg

Not the biggest Giant Goby but hell, it's a new species!!

I continued and by now a few lads watching the prat fishing for baby fish when some shouts went up... Bloney lobby after my lure!! Huge bugger it was as well.

After a good while, lots of swearing and flicking the lure in it's face and i'm in!!!!!

Lobster on the LRF rod. Unfortunately, 5lb+ lobby crushing claw v's 8lb flouro isn't a fair fight and one I was always going to lose.

I continued for a bit chasing him til he got bored and retreated into his hole in the wall.

Then there was a huge wrasse, big green thing, at least 5lb but he was not interested either, he also got bored and went into a lobby hole in the wall for some peace and quiet.

I almost caught another fish but not sure on species. Very vivid gold/brown colour with yellow/blue markings on the caudal peduncle. I *think* it was a female cuckoo wrasse but not really the right location for one. It chased the lure about and tugged a bit but didn't take. Frustrating!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great Andy,theres always something to catch LRF/HRF.

I have some of those 2"rock vibe shads also,graet for LRF

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, definitely a giant goby, there's tons of them in there, had them near twice that size on bread when mulletting in the dark. There were several other species down there and attacking the lure, could see quite clearly. I'm gonna have to downsize... size 10 and half a reins rockvibe carolina style...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the tiny lures Keith? I thought the reins were small enough as it is!! I'm on a species mission while I wait for cliff access. Gulls are still fledging and I don't like to disturb them to get to the cliff marks where I think the bass may be.

The jig by the way is a homemade football jig from a do-it mould. 1/16oz with a size 2. The mould takes a size 4 as well but I didn't get the smaller hooks. Took ages to find a salt proof hook to fit the mould without adjusting the mould as it was and settled with the 32746BLN which seem very good to me, shame they are only available in the US as postage adds up and about $13 per 100 hooks. Still cheaper to make your own though...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. Might have a few more packs of LRF Lures since the missus just got paid.

P.S. I assume that the mods etc filter out any potential users who might be wives / FPO's etc of current members and don't allow them access.... This is important!!!! lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well that was an interesting quick trip.

Decided to "sod it" and went to one of our marina's at low water, just a few foot of water round the edges but that's plenty!!

LRF rod the Shimano Salty Shot 2-10g, reins rockvibe 2 inch I think, clear colour.

2 casts and a huge fish on!! Monster battle to swing it up the wall...

Sorry, phone cam on self timer, couldn't balance the thing right so it's an odd shot...

View attachment 1712

Not the biggest Giant Goby but hell, it's a new species!!

I continued and by now a few lads watching the prat fishing for baby fish when some shouts went up... Bloney lobby after my lure!! Huge bugger it was as well.

After a good while, lots of swearing and flicking the lure in it's face and i'm in!!!!!

Lobster on the LRF rod. Unfortunately, 5lb+ lobby crushing claw v's 8lb flouro isn't a fair fight and one I was always going to lose.

I continued for a bit chasing him til he got bored and retreated into his hole in the wall.

Then there was a huge wrasse, big green thing, at least 5lb but he was not interested either, he also got bored and went into a lobby hole in the wall for some peace and quiet.

I almost caught another fish but not sure on species. Very vivid gold/brown colour with yellow/blue markings on the caudal peduncle. I *think* it was a female cuckoo wrasse but not really the right location for one. It chased the lure about and tugged a bit but didn't take. Frustrating!!!
Thats helll of a goby Andy, do they they fight well?
They look so prehistoric to me

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ha ha!!

For their size, they actually go quite well. Had a few on the mullet gear over half a pound and for a moment or two you think you have a mullet on.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put some tiny hooks with bits of worm down a harbour wall, normally inside a marina is better and if you can avoid the small wrasse, there will be plenty of gobies,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts