The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
As I am sure many of you are aware I am currently playing catch up on the LRF side of things.
I have ordered some of the lures from MrFish that were doing the business in Weymouth-SV69 rocket heads, and Aji Meet SP.
http://www.mrfishjersey.com/lrf/soft-lures/reins/reins-aji-meet-matt-white.html
The action possible with these lures was amazing.Just waiting for postman Pat to delivery them. It is killing me having to wait though!!

I have also just received one of the Ecogear Pocket Kits from Ben at Art of Fishing. I have to say I am quite impressed, decent solid box, 30 2" SP, and 5 small jigheads in what appears to be three sizes, and a couple of power scent capsules. All for about £12. throw in some light line and almost a do it DIY kit for a try at LRF.
So if anyone is tempted, then these kits might be just the thing to have a look at.

http://www.artoffishing.co.uk/fishing-tackle/ecogear-pocket-in-mebaru-set/ea8b4e31d6/d1f7cl24ee

So to all those vastly more experience LRF guys out there, what do you concider to be don't leave home without lures??? Jigheads/hooks etc

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i will be interested to see how the ecogear kits work out mate i have been considering ordering a couple from ben myself for later in the year.
Saying that i was using mepps on the weekend and had takes just couldn't convert them:x
Though still only just getting into lures in general properly.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Those little kits look great. It would be nice to see a few packs like that put together in a more comprehensive range, say 0.5-5 heads and differing SP's, fluketails, paddles etc.

I would recommend curly tail grubs, tiny xlayers and the little Cymo blade thingies that outfished me on SP's a couple of different times.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Mark,
I think that there are three different kits so maybe one of them might appeal.
Got some curly tail grubs around 2", from AGM and **** had some as well so that one is covered. Any particular colours favoured in the tiny X-Slayers??

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
One thing I take from the LRF side of my fishing is that if I can get the action right on the lighter softies and get the takes, there is no reason why this cant be upscaled to the larger softies and improve my methods. I dont think there is an easy fast track to results for me but only with patience and an open mind, hopefully personal success may follow. The first and second outing was a complete blank and it was partly down to not having the right tackle and expectations were high in regard to " how hard can it be " but now knowing i have the confidence of more successful trips under my belt, things will improve with time. (Hopefully)

Dave, in relation to your question then sub 2g jigheads, the aji meets are the key from what i have experienced as well as the line and fine tipped rod for detection.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
One thing I take from the LRF side of my fishing is that if I can get the action right on the lighter softies and get the takes, there is no reason why this cant be upscaled to the larger softies and improve my methods.
I was beginning to think no-one would ever get that...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Best bass practise you'll ever get...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,
Thanks for the heads up, as I said to you earlier I know that you have put the hours in. And it showed the other night-You were making it look easy, swung lures taken on the drop one minute. Then jigging to get that darting action out of those Aji Meets. Your point about the right gear making a big difference is definately true, but time on the water shows as well.

Keith,
Oh I get it, and I see the potential that it could totally change how I think of lure fishing. But I have ALOT of learning,practicing,and work to do between now and next spring before I can even begin to think about transferable skills/techniques. Funny how those guys that worked at LRF last winter seem to have done well this summer isn't it!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Dave, without seeming cocky etc, I do believe we had a good grasp of Bass on hard lures.
We had Bucktails, Ripbaits, Flutters, all manner of stuff, nailed.

We'd fished bigger soft lures for years. We knew it all, nothing new, you know the story.

Then, it all changed. Virtually overnight.

Of course, we transferred loads of 'other' skills to LRF but jeez, did we have our eyes opened or what !

I've enjoyed the most numbers of proper Bass ever this season and, only a very, very small percentage on hard plugs.
Hard plugs work just fine but, to grasp any method and be fair to it's potential, you need exclusivity. We did that and learned loads of new stuff about a fish we thought we had beat.
Add that to the diving and the fact that LRF enjoyed a pattern learning curve involving many people and here we are today.

It's true that alot of the pioneer LRF men have enjoyed their best seasons on the Bass but, the Bass have likely been a small part of their overall catches.
I know some haven't fished any other way for months and months.

Why ?

Because, LRF includes one vital ingredient in fishing.

--

FISH

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
On the subject of the tiny xlayers has anyone found a more favourable colour working for them in darkness? As i am concentrating my efforts in the twilight hours it would interesting to know.

·
Registered
498 Posts
has ive said before only caught the back end of lrf early this year but carried it thru the summer mainly metals (dave get yourself some of the small tacklehouse naburas) but rarely blanked, lrf s.p wise caught more bass(schoolies) than ive ever caught using the 2" reins stuff(barbless)and learnt to read the water,current,structure at the same time. but it does fine tune you when you start concentrating on hrf, bit like trying to learn guitar that is out of tune, tune it up and the chords start to sound right, then you can learn the guitar properly, looking forward to the winter lrf to really get fine tuned

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carl,
Strangely enough I have had a couple of Naburas 5g and Shout 5g jigs in my box for a while as they have proved useful when the bass/mackerel are on tiny fry, so will give them a try.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
498 Posts
no worrys dave the jaco vibs what **** stocks are truely lrf wonders as well, simply love metals this year but going to try more sp's this winter now im getting gear'd up, love the ulx with metals tho (cheers keith for the advice) had good success with dangan 5g mame as well for snipe this summer think they "drop" slower than the other metals, so that might be an option for otd.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
the americans have been doing UL for decades and have been using lures similar to those now used for LRF over here (although i'm not sure where the LRF name came from?). Do a google for "crappie tackle" and some of the stuff will come up. It's an awful lot cheaper than japanese too, although the shipping rates can be high.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
did look at at crappie rods adrian think they are simiular to our bream,
if you mean sea bream, yes, I'd agree (except crappie are freshwater of course). but the lures are very similar to what a lot of people are using for LRF and there's thousands of different styles/colours/weights/actions/etc not to mention all the different rigging techniques......

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Great thread Dave.
I have bought lots of crappie gear in the past from the US, from the likes of Bass Pro and other shops when on holiday. What opened my eyes is how much better the LRF kit originating from Japan is. Sure it is more expensive but so much of the tackle that originates from the US is built to a price. The Japanese seem to go for quality and price is secondary. And it shows. There really is no comparisom. The crappie gear is better than nothing but if you try 'proper' LRF kit you will notice an immediate difference. The quality of the Reins stuff is excellent and availability is the key for me. Two days on it is in my hands. Brilliant!
I was genuinely surprised when I fished with Mike and Dave that I got a good spanking from Mike!!!! I fished for bream and flathead in Australia on the same sort but slightly heavier gear. Same kit, different technique, plus of course the tackle has improved especially the JDM SPs. I caught plenty of bream and filled my boots with flathead. A bit of fine tuning and more 'finesse' made a huge difference. All I need now is somewhere local to practice. And a few orders to arrive.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts