The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out this morn at high tide to try dropshottin for some bream has mentioned in other posts, got to the mark not a fluff chucka in sight, great, rigged up lead (about 15g i think) size 8 wide gap hook 18" above to a 2" reins gold legend vib shad, 1st cast missed a good bite, 3rd cast and im in,great scrap up comes a mackeral, great scrap on the tr4,8lb braid, 6lb leader but no bream, n'easterley started to get up causing probs,so thought have 10mins with the jackson metals, 5g cymo, few casts mackerel again better size and good fight, never thought i'd get excited over a mack, but on this light stuff their amazing, long live lrf!!. pics to follow.(gotta get photo bucket sortd soon)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well done Carl. A single mackerel on a light line is great fun. Much better than 6 a time on feathers and 30lb mono.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nicely done Carl, if you don't mind me asking what side of the island you got the Mackerel at?

I was out in the Yak on Mon with the intent of going for Mackerel using a mixture of rods and lures with nothing to show but a snipe (which was still fun to catch). I was just off the break water in my usual spot that last year produced hundreds, this time nothing!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
went out this morn at high tide to try dropshottin for some bream has mentioned in other posts, got to the mark not a fluff chucka in sight, great, rigged up lead (about 15g i think) size 8 wide gap hook 18" above to a 2" reins gold legend vib shad, 1st cast missed a good bite, 3rd cast and im in,great scrap up comes a mackeral, great scrap on the tr4,8lb braid, 6lb leader but no bream, n'easterley started to get up causing probs,so thought have 10mins with the jackson metals, 5g cymo, few casts mackerel again better size and good fight, never thought i'd get excited over a mack, but on this light stuff their amazing, long live lrf!!. pics to follow.(gotta get photo bucket sortd soon)
Carl, sounds daft but when we were on the boat baiting for Bream the other day, 18" was too high up from the bottom, we were all catching around 9" on average. Any higher and we too caught Mackeral. Food for thought but keep up the effort :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Fish are Fish Carl and Macky must be great fun on the light gear, well done :-D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ne jay but dont think they around in numbers yet, nice one andy when ive baited feathers ive caught on all top midd bottom, was thinking of multi hooking to find the depth but that may cause lot of line twist on lighter lines even with a swivel above,

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice one Carl, I'm loving the cymo. Have been down Bouley Bay alot lately for some quick sport with cymo. Have had some funny looks from our european cousins when I turn up with the LRF and a cymo, the look that says 'whats this nobber doing!" but when there blanking and the only noise to be heard is the screech of a well oiled reel, well its all worth it. Having some great fun and getting some good pollack as well. Must try them with the Bass, but have to admit that I still haven't had a bass this year, because I''m loving targetting the wrasse and pollack too much and just haven't got round to the bass yet. May see you out this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts