The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doug, Nelson and myself went to the harbour tonight for some mackerel on the light stuff. We had a great night, 78 mackerel, about 20 odd scad and a couple of pollack. We were using rods from 0.5-5g, 1-9g and 3-12g, the jig heads were 3g and the sp's were reins Rockvib's 2". It was a turkey shoot, no special methods were needed, in fact they were attacking bare jigheads, I didnt hook up on a bare jig head but I recon I would have if I had continued. The best method was to keep the lure shallow, start a staedy retrieve as soon as the lure hit the water. Doug had a bout a dozen of his mackerel on a Tackle House Nebura Deka, he seemed to continue to catch when we started struggling with the softies. Excellent fun, and smoked mackerel for tea tomorow night, Jersey Royals and some salad ;-)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Lovely LRF action - i bet they went nicely on that gear !! I hooked a big Mackerel last week on the Injection & it put up a good account of itself - on the LRF rod it would have been awesome !!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was gonna go down last night as well but the last ever bill was on....... bugger. I even sat yesterday pm putting 4lb line onto my lrf reel then decided to stay in! Nice session mate.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Sounds fantastic and everything that lure fishing should be.
Balanced gear and loads of action,,,,,,,,,,Wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Great stuff ****. Your equivalent to my perch pond although I wouldn't eat the Perch. I love it when it's almost impossible not to catch a fish a cast. Best session for me 3 weeks ago was 25 fish in 30 mins. As Nick says wonderful stuff, i wish I lived near the sea.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good laugh I bet, ****? Nice to have some fresh mackerel for tea - I haven't caught a mackerel all year!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one ****. Just need some new line for my LRF reel and I'll be doing the same. Did you tie the boat up somewhere or go at it from the shore? Looking forward to the little horsies, they fight like mentalists

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice one ****, Adam is enjoying catching small Perch on the light set up, even half pounders go like hell :p

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We took Nelsons boat across the harbour away from the pier end massive, went under a light and there were fish everywhere. Its worth it just for the pure laugh, you dont learn much as its pretty impossible not to catch, but you do realise you can analise fishing as much as you like, but all you really need is a shed load of feeding fish in front of you and youre away!!

This is the little terror that was doing the damage last night

And a naff video, sorry didnt have any lights onboard apart from headlamps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C241SPBte14

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for that ****,

Never knew you could catch Mackerel at night....Just shows you that one learns something new every day on this forum.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
looks like a great laugh ****,
sometimes it is just plain fun to hammer the mackerel on light gear.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'll be there with my 6 weight and my LRF kit soon, its great fun off there! I'm always tempted to drop a mackerel livebait down as well....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts