The Lure Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lacking the motivation to work yesterday afternoon, I decided that it'd be a good chance to get out and try some of this LRF stuff that we've been chatting about..

High tide at Mevagissey harbour was at about 8.15pm and was a decently high one. After faffing to sort all my new kit out before leaving, I didn't get there until about 8pm, but it was still just about light. I haven't fished down there for years, and never considered fishing inside the main harbour walls. It looked good though!

I started off just having a walk around to try and figure out where I should be fishing, having a half-hearted cast or 2 at anywhere that looked fishy. Eventually I stopped under a streetlight, parallel to one of the inner walls. I started on a white 2" Jackall Mebaru-Bushi, and first cast hooked a fish just as it twitched back in to the light. 2 or 3 quickly followed before it went quiet. A quick switch to a tiny Gulp worm caught me a couple more. One of which took it on the drop (without me realising) as I just dropped the bait straight down the wall in front of me. At this point I think I was on a 1.3g, size 6 jighead.

pollack0..jpg

I then continued to wander, catching a couple of fish from each spot I tried. Being near the lights seemed quite important if you were after a quick fish. They were very small fish generally, but a couple between about 6 or 8oz did show up towards the end.

I just took one of my 2 rods with me - the solid tipped version. Was amazing how much feel you actually have on a 1g jig. Its almost like you're pulling half an ounce around!

pollack1..jpg

In hindsight, I reckon I could have caught a lot more. The fish at this spot were fairly easy targets (although saying that, when I leant my rod to another angler with fish in front of him, he didn't catch), but there were soooooo many times when they were attacking the bait but not hooking up. At times you could see them doing it. They also showed a HUGE liking for shad tailed baits on the night. I ended up fishing under one of the biggest lights in the harbour, catching fairly well on smaller worms etc, but tried a 2" One-Up Shad to see what they'd make of it. Well, things definitely picked up. It was also easier in that it was possible with the shad to actually use a much straighter, slooooooooooow retrieve and still get bites, and fish. The worms needed more work and concentration but the shad had 3 or 4 fish at a time chasing it in. This is what makes me think that the tiny Jackson vibration baits that I have would have caught quite a few fish. 2" was still too big to be perfect and I think smaller baits would have bought more hook-ups in this final location. On the worms I was down to using 1.5" baits and a size 12, 0.9g jighead (would have gone, much, much lighter if I could), but with the shad on a very, very slow retireve it was possible to catch using 1.5g and a size 4. It was nice by the end of the session to have whitnessed which different techniques worked best (or would have) in a certain situation. On the night I could have used a mich wider range of methods to make the most of it. Next time.

pollack2..jpg

In the end I stopped on a total of 28 fish, just as the rain started. A weird night overall. Totally, totally different kind of fun, and also weird in that I was fishing stood outside a pub door at one point! I'd usually have been inside one on a friday night! :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Good stuff Ben, you've christened your new tackle properly! Great report and whatalotof fish... I'll have to get a bend in the Firefly soon!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ah nice one great report ben its good to see other guys getting on it mate

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well done Ben!!!! 28 fish first time out is pretty impressive even if they were small. Loads of room for experimenting with different lure types and methods and glad to see there were so many fish present.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys. Helluva bend those small pollack put in these rods!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Nice one Ben. I reckon that although small fish are attracted by shads at the same time the wiggly tail puts them off biting (see earlier exchanges with Keith San). Have a go with some stingers?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the biggest you managed Ben? Surely that wasn't the biggest of the sesh in your photo???
Had them up to about 8oz Tim, but quite often left my camera in my pocket. Being Easter there were a fair few people around so I felt like a bit a dick taking photos.

Could be right Paul. Will try it next time. Problem with this is that there is too much to try out isn't there!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Very good report Ben.

Like Paul says, try the Jap flying stinger. OTD also brings in the bigger stamp fish in general and, like Paul also suggests, PT lures draw fish but, it's a big wide target for smaller fish to take on from the rear. We like to draw up straight and pin tailed baits and then, any fish can generally have a go.

But, you are out of the starting gate now, all a big learning curve but really concentrate OTD. Initially the numbers might drop but I doubt it as you have a coarse background and you understand this stuff. If you take out the vib baits, leave the solid top out of play. tub tips are way better for that sort of thing.

Really great that this stuff has been repeated in the UK. Someone once said C.I fishing has no bearing on UK fishing. Another load of BS based on this.

Being Easter there were a fair few people around so I felt like a bit a dick taking photos.
Wrong attitude for a pioneer m8. screw em.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrong attitude for a pioneer m8. screw em.
LOL, one step at a time mate.

Had a lot of fish OTD last night. Almost from the off. Got in to it pretty quick, hitting bites. Obviously I'll get better, but was in the right frame of mind I think. Hollow was the plan vib wise. Will be taking both rods next time, now that I know what to expect.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well done ben, sort out the tides in this place and the bigger fish will follow, we've done alot better on the bigger fish when there's some current pushing through, like keith said all the better sized guy's have come on the drop.

kev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great report Ben. The guy you met was a regular fishing mate of mine and he was gushing about your success on the phone earlier this evening!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just don't think I've ever seen a Callig quite as juvenile as that before!
We get alot of them here too.
They seem to be resident in the main harbours.

Not always easy to catch and i'm certain that these are amongst the prey the big squid are looking for.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great report Ben. The guy you met was a regular fishing mate of mine and he was gushing about your success on the phone earlier this evening!!
Yeah we mentioned you actually Martin. Was good to have them there whitness it. Was a good laugh! Will go back in the next few days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts