The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to Foxons tackle shop on saturday morning for some reel oil and while I was there I spotted a nice little berkley spinning rod for £25. It was 3-15g 7' and seemed to have a little backbone so I matched it up with a cheapy diawa 2500 size reel and some 10lb braid.

I have been down to Porth Ysgaden once this year and blanked but the place looks really fishy so I thought I would give it another go armed with a new tactic! I arrived at the mark at about 8pm, tide was about 3 hours before high. The wind was quite strong and in my face where I wanted to try and couldnt chuck the carolina rigged 3" reins paddle tail more than 10". So I moved into the cove where i had the wind behind me and had a bit of shelter. First cast went a fair distance and I had decent contact with the lure and felt a tap on the drop, I missed a few taps on the first two casts, but on the third attempt on the drop I connected with a fish!! Only a small pollock but I now understand what Keith has been on about with all this OTD stuff!!!

The action was non stop and I missed loads of taps but managed to land unknown quantities of pollock ranging from 6" to 12" as I lost count after about 12.... I then put an Ayu Xlayer on a 5g bachi head and had a couple of casts before something nearly ripped the rod out of my hands!! After a fair old scrap I got the fish to the surface 15" away from me I got a glimpse of the size but not sure what species as it was half light by then... but I rekon it must have been at least 5lb.. I think that I need to really strike hard with more of a sweep with this rod to get a decent hookup as it is much softer than my bushwhacker and red ultimate one.

Tried this morning for the wrasse using the xlayer and hazedong missed another big tap that really moved the rod and that was all the action I had until I put the reins paddle tail on. Managed about another 15 small pollock, also had one on a 4" senko.

Really enjoyed the session and learned alot. Just need to get me some wrasse, bass and whatever else I can catch!

Attachments

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Quote "Went over to Foxons tackle shop on Saturday morning"

I've done it & it's fatal

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Top report and well done on trying something new!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Fin, great report and pics :-D

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Fished at Ysgaden hundreds of times over the years,last time two weeks ago.
Its a good place and always has been for 'small' fish for some reason,these can be great fun though and next time I'm there (soon) I must take some of my ultralite gear with me.
Sounds like you really enjoyed the session.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
well done fin !!!! will have to have a go at that a bit nearer to home(if these bloody north, north east and north west winds will ever p**s off,) its driving me nuts and its northerlies continuing at least til the end of the week,every day my heart sinks when i look down the hill and see all the different shades of brown all along the coast as far as the eye can see!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Fin! Great fun!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well done fin !!!! will have to have a go at that a bit nearer to home(if these bloody north, north east and north west winds will ever p**s off,) its driving me nuts and its northerlies continuing at least til the end of the week,every day my heart sinks when i look down the hill and see all the different shades of brown all along the coast as far as the eye can see!!
The straits arent too bad for clarity at the moment mate, might have a bash in the swellies later, ticks one of the check boxes anyway...... "current"

·
Registered
687 Posts
nice fishing fin,ive recently bought a new rod for the sp`s & some xlayers.just need to drag myself from the plugs :muttley:

·
Registered
519 Posts
well done fin, sounds like your getting the hang of it, the more you pratice the better you'll get at hitting the OTD bites,

all the best

kev

p.s, keep looking for places that have current, this is a key element.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts