The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After previous sessions around the harbour under the lights I decided the next rock fishing would be an LRF outing, to be honest leaving the plugging gear behind was a decision well made, as Ive never had such a fun trip out. After getting in some smaller purpose baits and jig heads it was time to give them a fair shout out on the rocks and ledges around portland.

The reel was spooled with 4lb fluoro straight through to a Reins Aji-Meba Jig head and a variety of reins attached. On the ULX, the 2.6g jigheads felt true and the bite detection was spot on. Sure I wasn't making the distances the pluggers were but ' on the drop ' bites/takes were positive.

I caught on all, but it was the second from the bottom, (Nitro crawler) which proved the most popular to the fish tonight. My main concern relating to deep hooking, (from previous outings with single hooks rigged) was not an issue tonight, as the jigheads used allowed easy unhooking. I managed 16 pollack and 1 mackerel tonight.

Its addictive and when the fish show its enjoyable, its almost like getting more sport from the sport if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Mike looks like you had a great session :p

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Mike!!! Gonna get out for a bit of a species hunt myself on Sunday with any luck! It's been a while!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whooo hooo Mike. Well done. Although **** reported it was 60 so get a new phone ;)
haha, there was more than me fishing tonight, a collective catch number indeed, and there was loads caught. Dale managed a small bass tonight aswell, considering he went last weeknd without one, ironic him catching one tonight, but hey thats fishing eh!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Its addictive and when the fish show its enjoyable, its almost like getting more sport from the sport if you know what I mean.
Another one firmly hooked.

Pure enjoyment and no pressure for trophy fish or bragging rights. I love it.

Any branch of angling can have its detractors, but to be honest if anyone has a problem with this stuff then they need to look deep into what's left of their angling soul and question whether they have got their priorities right.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Cool!! Looks proper fun. LRF is something I'd like to have a serious play with next year. Had a little session targetting different Wrasse and rock species on carp hooks and b**t at the beginning of summer and had some nice little fish, so proper LRF gear can only emphasize the fun I was having.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Brilliant session Mike,
Looks like you have the LRF thing down now, I know what you mean about addictive though, after you finally managed to get me to catch using LRF techniques.
Way to go!!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Totally brilliant.........
Been at this plugging/lure fishing obsession of ours for many many years and I would have to say that the 'new'(to us) classifications of HRF and LRF are for me THE WAY FORWARD for modern lure fishing.
There are lots of people out there that dont have the access to top quality Bass fishing that some have and with the number of species out there that we can enjoy pursuing I believe that this is the way to go.
Now that we all have access to the correct balanced gear this sort of 'Finesse' lure fishing opens up a whole new world of lure fishing.
I know its been said before many times but wouldnt it be amazing if Mackies were bigger etc.
HRF/LRF the 'modern way' is Great eh...............

·
Registered
101 Posts
What a learning curve... It's something I will be looking at more and more. Light braids (or flouro straight through) with light jigheads or softies unweighted seems to be a very good way forward. I have had great fun with XLayers this year and almost always try them with fewer and fewer blanks than I had in the past. There is certainly a technique though and thanks for sharing all this information.
Nick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts