The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first started looking at lrf rods and alike i was thinking that 1-9 gram would be more than light enough. Though after a little more research these seem to heavy, it just sounds mad, but most of the lrf jigs are sub 1 gram.
So then i adjusted what i was looking at and it seems like the lighter 0.4 - 4 gram and 0.6 - 6 gram rods are more suited to this with the softer 5-28 gram rods for HRF and and the 10 - 40 for out and out bass fishing.

Now i find this astonishing after the initial switch to lures over flies and only have to carry a single rod thus far and landing some good fish. Now i want to adjust what i use so looking for an LRF rod, HRF rod and Bass rod.
Having only just made a leap of blind faith into lures and loving it, i dont want to spend the earth so i have chosen rods and reels that i have to save the cash for in these weights. now until last year i had 19 rods for all my fishing on flies.
Now i will only need 3 rods!!!
In due course i will collect more rods and reels like i do i cant help it, but with the littl outlay and then just collecting bits over the course of years.
Just though i would put up my personal findings, it may save someone the hassle i went through in the long run if making the jump like i did. :shock:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like you after researching, reading, asking, I've found a similar weight breakdown and have also opted for three rods to cover the scope from LRF and up (first - budget - LRF rod winding its way to me right now).

Wow, I never realised fly fishing needed so much kit!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glad it's not only me mate, i never need all the rods but collected them for differing actions and weights for situations and feels, roughly only covered the same at these 3 rods will it's nuts mate. Iremember the first time i saw a post of a rod rate 0.6 - 5 grams and thought thats bloody stupid it will break straight away. But no when i wound through and asked questions it started to make sense.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I only have 2 rods, but I am less than a year into lure fishing. I started with an 11' Mike Ladle SureSpin II 15-60g, but after discovering the joy of forums, I then bought a Lucky Craft ESG II 7'7 3-30g. The LC rod covers all my plugging, soft plastic work, and now 'HRF'. The Mike Ladle has been sold, and my second rod is the Varivas Violente 0.4-6g for LRF.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I currently have a 2-12g Salty Shot as my LRF rod. I bought it very early on, before some of the lighter rods had really been talked about. My HRF rod is 10-30g.

This winter I will be buying a 0.5-5g as my proper LRF rod. I also want a new HRF rod. I want it to be suited to weights in the region of 3-15g, but it MUST have the backbone to horse a good Wrasse out of heavy ground asap. If anyone knows of such a rod, feel free to name it!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If anyone wants a reasonably cheap but good spec rod for LRF use, drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I've got. I generally "over stock" each time I go to the US just in case i never get to go back so i've now got quite a collection of rods that I'm never likely to use. Mostly in the 1-6g sort of range but also a few slightly heavier ones too. Same applies to reels too.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Have a look at the Cormoran Carbostar rods as a very cheap way into LRF if you do not want to commit the cash to an expensive stick. I have two that I bought for fun use (nothing serious) and now I use them on almost every LRF session. They also do some good value rods with more backbone but a light solid tip. Almost like a quiver tip.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should say that paul i have indeed been looking at a pair of then in ul weights for lrf for me and the missus. Should match a pair of daiaw powermesh rods covers lrf, hrf and bass and cheaply too.
Though just cant let on to the missus that i have my eye on a violente and a pair of tenryus for me in the mot too distant future as my proper go to rods.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Carbostar UL (0.5-5g) is what arrived here today. Looks just fine to my novice eye, if a little softer at the butt than I'd like - but I don't really know if that's going to be an issue till I get something live on the end. At the price, I see it as a try LRF with the aim of upgrading to something that is more likely to last my usual abuse next year. Will report how it handles if I can just clear this work crap and get out to a nearby harbour tonight.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Good Luck Neil,
will be good to hear what you think of the rod. Tackle reviews can be really helpful.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Good thread, I look forward to hearing how different findings come together. 1-9g is what I feel is LRF, but its relative to the conditions I suppose, on a no wind night we can go really light, but factors may mean we will need to step up to 5g heads with the softie weighing say 3g....do you know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess it all comes down to conditions at the ned of the day mate, if we take into account the weight of the sp and jig head even when very light it would be 3 grams average?
It is true what they say no one rod will cover it all though the violente rods would uit the average lrf weight in the uk from what understand so far.
Oh god i feel a big collection of rods building up again over the years.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very apt mention of wind and weight. Just back from a first quick (and successful I must say) LRF session and found it a real challenge with a 0.5-5g rod in wind gusting up to around 20mph. It's not only the lure that's the issue here, the rod reacts to the wind, too, and it was sometimes tough to work out whether the sensations I was feeling in the rod were from the business end or just the wind messing with rod and line. More experience will likely sort that, though. On a couple of casts I discovered the lure wasn't in the water at all, but had been blown into the jetty wall half way down! In near pitch dark that's tough to spot. So I think second session must be daylight so I can see something of what's going on and better measure what I see with what I feel through the rod.

All in all, though, great fun!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Neil I had a similar experience last winter, I was too under gunned and struggled like you did this evening. I realised that if the wind is up you do need to be able to get out 3-5g heads, and as for the wind on the rod, it was a nightmare, like you say the rod is waving about so much any real feel/control was lost completely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had not thought of wind with light lines and rods it must be hard to feel your lure, i suppose it makes sense to carry a selection of lures that go right up to the rods maximum casting weight.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alfie,
All a bit of a balancing act, too much weight kills any action in the lure, too little and the wind just drags the lure around. Going up in size both lure and weight helps though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts