The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

I am all new to LRF and would love to get a little more involve.. I don't really a lot of marks.. but would Brighton marina, Brighton west and east.. possibly Seaford and Eastbourne be a good start?

I have done a lot of lure fishing for bass but this time I want to get a wider variety,, I am thinking maybe wrasse, rockling.

my question is with Light gear, does it have to be from rocks? I don't know much rocky marks in the south.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not into LRFing myself Chris but in the area there are some structures where you can fish from. There have been quite a few species taken from them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Chris. I got into LRF earlier this year having great mini species fun in Crete. Where I live (Grimsby) it's all beaches and estuarys, no fishable piers, harbour or rocks. I've had good sessions in the estuary but blanked on the beach several times.........I'm still determined to get my first beach LRF Flounder next year!:cool:
Good luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes all the areas you've mentioned will be good & no it dosent need to be of rocks although some purists might disagree however the term was made from Rockfish not fishing from rocks. Get your self a cheeky we set up m8 and just enjoy although cold frosty weather makes it slower than normal, have a look on YouTube for dropshot vids & my personal favourite is a splitshot rig.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Chris. I got into LRF earlier this year having great mini species fun in Crete. Where I live (Grimsby) it's all beaches and estuarys, no fishable piers, harbour or rocks. I've had good sessions in the estuary but blanked on the beach several times.........I'm still determined to get my first beach LRF Flounder next year!:cool:
Good luck and enjoy!!!
Have you tried a split shot rig with a piece of isome or gulp, cracking rig for flounder as is jig heads as the weight will hold the worm in position

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Chris, good choice in taking up LRF'ing you won't be disappointed. I often fish around the Newhaven and Seaford area. Opposite the Hope Inn (fishing into the estuary) I've seen Gobies, Blennies, Wrasse, Scorpion fish, small pollock and small bass taken on Isome on both small jig heads and drop shot rigs. Upriver is also good for flounders on its day. Tools and Tackle have a good selection of LRF tackle and are very friendly and helpful. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chris, good choice in taking up LRF'ing you won't be disappointed. I often fish around the Newhaven and Seaford area. Opposite the Hope Inn (fishing into the estuary) I've seen Gobies, Blennies, Wrasse, Scorpion fish, small pollock and small bass taken on Isome on both small jig heads and drop shot rigs. Upriver is also good for flounders on its day. Tools and Tackle have a good selection of LRF tackle and are very friendly and helpful. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!! I have made a list of Christmas present and hopefully I will
Have a nice little starter kit after Christmas!

I will keep you guys updated!!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I reckon harbours and marinas are the best places to start personally. At least you're guaranteed a supply of fish, even if they are only micro pollack and pout. Plus the bonus is all sorts can turn up. That applies to down here in Jersey anyway, I've no idea what harbours or marinas you might have that you can fish.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Chris, LRF in Sussex can be quite hard but if you choose the right times you can do alright. Structure is what you need most of the time but in summer mackerel, gars and scad can be caught in open water. There are a few venues that fish all year round and I have caught gobies and schoolies right through the winter. Prime Angling in Worthing is good for gear and info, definitely worth a look. All the estuaries, piers and harbour walls will produce at some time. It just takes a while to work it out....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys!! Santa was good to me christmas gone and i got myslef a set up with loads of lure... i been on three session and have not balnked yet! So must be doing something right!! So far i have only tried dropshot cause i feel it will cope better with current flow.. but summer comes, i shall experiment more and learn quicker.. but now my question is

Do people do LRF (drop shot mainly) in the dark? Cause i have notice in the dark it is very hard... although there's tonne's of whiting about.. they would just ignore the lure?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Chris try some Isome or better still Berkley Gulp Sandworm in 2inch size. They are scented and will be productive day or night. Also give the Crazy Fish micro lures a go. Work a treat at night. Most of my saltwater LRF style fishing is done at night.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Not used Gulp much as finding it can be a challenge locally but Isome is as good in the dark as daylight. Definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris try some Isome or better still Berkley Gulp Sandworm in 2inch size. They are scented and will be productive day or night. Also give the Crazy Fish micro lures a go. Work a treat at night. Most of my saltwater LRF style fishing is done at night.
Not used Gulp much as finding it can be a challenge locally but Isome is as good in the dark as daylight. Definitely worth a try.

Hi again guys!

I will definitely give it a go.. i have started heading out there and i have caught 4 species so far.. but the night time still is dead! But one thing for sure whiting were around.. my brother usedbthe baited hooks and he won by 15-0 lol.. i may well need yo try them gulp and isom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts