The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Well it was a lovely still day, so I was counting the secnds until knocking off time to have another attempt at LRF.
In keeping with the laws of Sod, the wind statrted to blow just as it started to get dark.
But you never get anywhere sitting at home so headed straight from work to a local likely mark. Between the ever increasing wind, and swell, it made staying in contact with the lighter jigheads pretty hard. But a heavy (well 1.8g!!! size8) jighead and a white Reins Aji Meet did get a couple of bites, but inexperience meant I just wasn't in close enough contact with the jighead to hook up.
So I decided a change of venue was in order. And while heading over I got a call from fellow board member Mike Kennard.
Somehow I arrived first, and being the cad that I am, started fishing straight away.
Two good bites on the first cast!!, things definately looking good.
Third cast I let the lure swing into the bottom in front of me, then lifting the rod tip, gentlely jigged the lure back along the bottom towards me. Technically known as the Bansai retrieve, as it yields fish or snags in equal amounts. A bite caused me to lift gentlely (fly fishing background seems to help!), and
BANG!!! FISH ON!!!!

Never felt so good to land a fish before!! Yeap, I was really chuffed by my 8" LRF trophy.
Have to say Guys be careful LRF is addictive stuff, there is no hope for me now!!
Sussex might not be blessed with fishing on par with Weymouth or Jersey, but any form of lure fishing that can me smiling after catching the above HAS to be worth doing.

Oh and another lesson learnt tonight 0.3PE makes an enormous difference when trying to stay in contact with the jighead, and the
action/speed of the jighead. Awesome stuff.
If we could just have some CALM weather, I am sure Sussex can produce more and maybe alot more fish.

Big thanks the Mike Hayes, All the forum members that took the time to answer my dumb questions, and MrFish for going out on a limb and stocking the right gear. Long way to go yet, But the LRF cherry's gone now.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Lovely stuff Dave.

Get a couple of handwarmers and some fingerless gloves for when you are stood in subzero NEers and driving sleet trying to nail a 7 inch Pollack in deepest January. A flask of hot tea is a nice idea as well. Why its so addictive I have no idea...

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant Dave, well done :clap: I to, have finally got the gear to give this light stuff a try so will be having a go this weekend :p

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Dave. You're doomed now!! :)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Nice one dave, it is addictive and to those that do it a very worthwhile method. You either like or you dont, its does help having the right tools for the job though. If anyone else is interested in LRF methods, take a look through the LRF section and with an open mind who knows, you may like it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice going Dave! It all sounds/ looks good fun, and has been mentioned that it really helps hone your skills for HRF and Bass stuff, definitely got my attention. Fished for mini-species on local structures using size 10 carp hooks and tippets of rag worm, had 4 species of wrasse and various goby/blenny and dragonet as well as pollock. Gona have to get myself set up now!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really is a laugh, no pressure (unless self applied) fishing.

Mark-With you on the gloves/hand warmers/coffee-It was getting pretty cold last night in the wind.

Alex, Yeap,plenty of places to do this kind of fishing, still sorting which is best etc.

Mike, Totally agree about the kit, lures/braid/reel all sorted will hopefully have a proper LRF rod soon.

Ben,
Sorry mate, I should have mentioned that Art of Fishing is the other shop that has gotten behind LRF, stocking lures/rods etc- And I believe a LRF bumble is on the cards for the west country. Yes doomed but ANYTHING beats the X Factor/Strictly season on the telly.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Alas too late for the party Dave had with a whiting.... a real shame a few more didn't turn up hungry. A couple of missed bites and that was it for me. Far from ideal conditions and Dave's fish shows not only his skill ;-) but the venues potential. The weather was truly [email protected] with very little shelter. A calm night will hopefully see more than one fish landed between us.
Anyway, we spent a good hour or so experimenting, trying very hard but no further fish. Lots of chat about technique, tactics and 'what we still need to buy' and generally just a good social visit. Great fun but I was frozen when I got in. Too keen to fish maybe?
Until next time..... now where is that shopping list.....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
lol, cheers Dave. Bumble would have been tonight but alas, that bad weather you speak of has had it's say! Next week maybe... I flippin hope so. Really looking forward to getting back on it this year!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a shame Ben, Channels and Pout seem to be around in ever increasing numbers and the pollack still seem to be feeling frisky. Plus all the other uglies that LRF seems to target are all there, But I agree A LITTLE help from the weather would be much appreicated.

Mike K, Far far too kind, lucky is closer to the truth than "skilled", Seems Mike H was right about how quickly areas can fire up and shut down (fish passing through?). Get your braid loaded and I bet it will be you bagging them next time.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I remember ben explaining lrf to me months ago before i switched over and i thought what is the point of that? Then i fish 3lb tippets for brown trout and an excellent fight on the right gear so why not lrf?
Then i read more and more of these articles. So i have started planning on what i need for lrf, after tinkering with steves incycte again last week i have a feelng i may need a pair of these for hrf and lrf.
pity tonight is cancelled though as said have to rearange. god am i looking forwads to it!!!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Damn! I fell myself slipping towards the credit card!

Great report Dave, I really felt the enthusiasm!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice one! Have tried lrf near me - kept getting plagued by pouts! Have had couple of small (1lb) pollack which still were great fun on light gear. No wrasse yet but looking forward to getting a decent one some time!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good going mate! Think i still have i while before I'm a convert yet.. all to cozy in my beach buddy this time of year!
Do the 2,000,000,000,000 pout I caught this year while drop shotting xlayers this year count as LRF??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm I think they count as HRF Isidore, just kidding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts