The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some travel rods suitable for LRF. Either telescopic or multiple sections. I was thinking 7 or 8 feet.

I've seen some shimano models 3-15g, would these be suitable?

What sort of action should I be looking for? Fast, medium or through action?

Many thanks,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the effort Keith. I look forward to your findings.

Do you think that 3-14g or 5-20g would be more like MRF.

I'm not sure what the difference is really, but what I'm thinking of doing is targeting the mackerel with 2 inch white soft plastics that imitate the white bait fry, if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure if we get wrasse locally, as the Kent coast is not very rocky - mostly shingle, sand or mud. I think that we get pouting and whiting, so I wouldn't mind trying for them too. I don't know if this would make a difference to the kit needed. I was concentrating on the lure weight. Maybe I should start a different thread - i might be going off at a tangent.

Thanks anyway,

Tony.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some travel rods suitable for LRF. Either telescopic or multiple sections. I was thinking 7 or 8 feet.

I've seen some shimano models 3-15g, would these be suitable?

What sort of action should I be looking for? Fast, medium or through action?

Many thanks,

Tony.
Tony

I have the Shimano Exage S.T.C. 2.10metre Cast weight 5-20gm, which is the slightly heavier telescopic version of the one you refer to. It is a convenient little rod (about 14ins long in its case) and I have caught pike up to about 4/5lb and numerous black bass in France with it. It is ideal as the occasional holiday type rod but I would not wish to use it a lot.

Personally I would look for a multi piece rod, rather than a telescopic one.

David

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that David. I understand what you say about a multi section rod being preferable to the telescopic, but those telescopics are very compact and tempting. I've heard the same advice before, so I would probably go for a multiple section rod like the Shimano Speedmaster STC.

Just out of interest, how would you describe the action on the telescopic Exage? Is it a traditional 'through' or 'progressive' action?

Anyone know if the Shimano Speedmaster STC rods have a faster action, as the name suggests?

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
323 Posts
can you get NITRO RODS from any where they make a rod called magnum butt 7ft 6 10 -40grm 4-6kilo 5 piece in graphite you can feel herring and land tuna 6kilo +great rods i have two
pete

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks for that David. I understand what you say about a multi section rod being preferable to the telescopic, but those telescopics are very compact and tempting. I've heard the same advice before, so I would probably go for a multiple section rod like the Shimano Speedmaster STC.

Just out of interest, how would you describe the action on the telescopic Exage? Is it a traditional 'through' or 'progressive' action?

Anyone know if the Shimano Speedmaster STC rods have a faster action, as the name suggests?

Thanks again,

Tony.
Tony

I would describe the action as crisp, or even stiff, but if you hook into a largish fish (pike 4/5lb my biggest with the rod) there is plenty of power developing down the rod.

As stated previously, personally I wouldn't use it as my main rod but it is still a handy little rod for those occasional trips.

I hope that helps

David

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the effort Keith. I look forward to your findings.

Do you think that 3-14g or 5-20g would be more like MRF.

I'm not sure what the difference is really, but what I'm thinking of doing is targeting the mackerel with 2 inch white soft plastics that imitate the white bait fry, if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure if we get wrasse locally, as the Kent coast is not very rocky - mostly shingle, sand or mud. I think that we get pouting and whiting, so I wouldn't mind trying for them too. I don't know if this would make a difference to the kit needed. I was concentrating on the lure weight. Maybe I should start a different thread - i might be going off at a tangent.

Thanks anyway,

Tony.
It's not just about rod length / weight and rating. I wish it were.
It's about finding a rod that transmits the bite (tap or whatever) to the user whilst at the same time being lightweight, responsive, has an action that will protect light braids or fluorocarbons and....is strong enough.

It's a tall order in a 2 pc rod.

Actually:

a 3 or 4 pc very fast actioned fly rod blank might be close.
I'm quite interested in this because I might want to travel myself with such a rod.

under 7g is LRF but a rod rated say...1 - 9 would still be LRF.

5 - 15 might be MRF but again, 3.5 - 14 would be in the bracket.

HRF could be 5 -28, 3.5 - 21 etc. It's more about the taper and the ability to be sensitive but still stop big fish in rough ground.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys,

Peter, I've never heard of Nitro rods. I'll search the net. A link or any other info would be helpful.

David, thanks for your thoughts on the Exage STC.

Keith, thanks for the low down. I see there is some overlap between LRF/MRF/HRF. How about trout spinning rods? Hard to find anything less than 5g from what I see. Any travel rods that might look suitable for MRF/HRF? Any thoughts on the Shimano Speedmaster STC? As for the fly rod, I assume that you would use it with a fly reel and line!? Is it a fast action that is necessary in a lure/spinning rod?

All the best,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I meant a really fast fly rod blank built to LRF spec.
Something like the Sage TCR must be available at the right rating.

Just find the optimum rating by converting grain weight into grams.
You need fast action, in my opinion, for the right line control with what we are doing it's not really optional.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Have read lots of good things about the Nitro rods on ozzy forums, but think the chances of us getting them here are pretty much zero unfortunately :-(

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. Nice looking rods, and an ultralight model (007 Traveller).

I had a quick look on google and couldn't see any UK websites for these rods.

If anyone knows of a UK distributer, could they let us know.

All the best,
Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the fast action info keith.

Interesting idea about the fly rod blank, but probably getting a bit technical for me. I guess that I would prefer to get something'off the shelf'.

I've just thought, it might be worth a look at the big American mail order companies, such as Bass Pro and Cabellas. Anyone out there who is familiar with their ranges and can suggest a travel rod for LRF?

All the best,
Tony.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts