The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I managed to pop down to Weymouth for a couple of days, for bit of secret squirrel research before the competition.
I meet Mike Hayes down there, and whilest out on the prowl for some bass the dreaded LRF was mentioned. I say dreaded because twice before Mike has given up an evening to try and show me how to do it-With a stunning lack of results on my part. No fault of Mike's, just me not getting it
Mike mentioned that he knew a good place to try, So after scaling cliff, fording wild flooding rivers and braving the wild animals (OK we walked about five minutes truth be told) We arrived at mark one, pretty much straight away we could see fish in front of us. So I shamlessly copied Mikes set up, and flicked out a 2" chartreuse curly tailed grub.
And tried and tried until I got a bump, and then another bump. No hook ups though. So smaller grub was pressed into action (about 1.5") and then again following Mikes lead, cast out , tried to keep in contact with it as it sunk (at which I failed probably), but during a very slow retrieve, it was fish on!!!!
The fight was wild, hundreds of yards on line stripped, drag screaming.............Well maybe not, but this little beauty was lifted free of the water.

And just look at the teeth/gob on it!!

My little Pin was soon back in the water, ready to endanger life and limb and any passing shipping!!!

A quick change of mark, was met with yet another take and fish, this time alittle bigger!!

Great fun, and I can really see how the whole LRF style is so addictive, whenyour getting hits and trying to convert them into hook up. I think next time though I might scale down a bit from the 9'4" rod to something a little more suitable!!
Many many thanks to Mike, who was generous enough to share info/mark/tackle. I would never have succeeded with out his help. Cheers Mike
Right now where do you get some tiny little soft plastic.................!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
:lol: tbh, you may well find Luke & i farting around doing a bit of that when we come down for the comp - bloowdy good fun :D.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, plenty of marks around there for real LRF, but I reckon some HRF off Portland could throw some serious wrasse into the equation...!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Tim,
Absolutely. My best wrasse is about 5lb to 6lb, fought like a tube train and nearly smashed my on a stiff 6oz beach caster. I think crab softies could be the lure of choice.

PS - LRF rocks and I suspect a few of us could be in the harbour at Weymouth after the pub having a laugh....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice one Dave... If you hold them at arms length towards the camera they look huge...er well in this case a bit bigger....:-D:-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts