The Lure Forums banner

LRF - which flouro?

659 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Keith White 
#1 ·
In the past I have always just used clear mono for leaders for my UL fishing in the salt. I don't fish rocky areas and most of the time I have been fishing for mackerel, gars, flounders etc and I am not convinced flouro would have made any difference.
Now with LRF techniques targetting pollack etc under lights I would like to fill one of my reels wioth flouro, likely 4lb to start with. So those of you already using light flouro, what make are you using and how are you getting on with it?

#2 ·
ok, great question.

Recently, I've used, with great success i might add, fluorocarbon line right through. I have tried a few cheaper ones and the one on my reel right now is Airflo G3 Sightfree (made in Japan) 100 meters for about 6.95 in places. Others are BOGOF.
I've also come to really like the Gen 3 Tenyru in 10, 12, 14, and 20lb and so, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 6lb. That will be around £20 a spool.

Megabass do a 5lb FC called 'Dragoncall' which is also designed for use on a reel straight through.

The American market lists many FC lines as 'straight through' friendly but, be aware that they are mostly referring to baitcasters and NOT fixed spool spin reels.

The Japanese and the Australians love the 'Sunline' range of FC lines as well as the various braids but again, some are gen3, some are super stiff etc. it is a minefield right now.

Lots to be learned here but at least it's not rod and reel money.

#3 ·
Yep, I was going to ask about the Airfo Generation 3 stuff the other day actually, having seen the BOGOF offers etc. Obviously this is where fluorocarbons are going, and like mono's, they're finally making some decent fluorocarbons with low diameters. For us, obviously the biggest advantage is with casting distance. My 4lb P-Line is 0.20mm, but more modern lines are down around 0.16mmn for the same breaking strains. 0.2 struggles a bit with shot under a BB whereas I'd imagine the 4lb Airflo is easier to cast. The Yamatoyo Rockfish stuff is also recommended abroad, but getting unless we put a bulk order in will probably be difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.