The Lure Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly different to mainlines, but how do you guys see the specs going for light fluoro leaders?

I suppose maybe only time will tell, but as gen.3 mainlines etc come down in diameter, it makes sense for leader materials to come down as well. However, with no affect on casting distance, will leader diameters remain more substantial for extra abrasion resistance (perhaps wrongly assuming that finer fluorocarbons will be more resistant), or should we consider looking for more futuristic fluorocarbons here as well to aid presentation? I know, many Japanese leaders are already coming down.

I suppose actually, once you get down to 4lb or below, abrasion resistance becomes less of an issue and presentation can takes more importance again (if you get rubbed against the rocks you're likely to get broken with or without tough fluoro).

I'm currently trying out some light Drennan (or will be when I fish again). Diameter is average, but they're good quality and good value for here.

What are you guys using, or planning on using?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi Ben

For LRF I'm using Virage fluoro in either 5 or 8lb. It's also the same one I use for hooklengths for mullet and comes recommended from our local tackle shops.

For HRF I'm using some varivas I ordered from veals a while ago. I'm not sure of either the breaking strain or diameter as its printed in Japanese? Seems pretty good though. I'll have to get something heavier soon though for the wrasse.

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
**** has just got in some Triplefish in 4, 6 and 8lb in 50Mtr spools for about £4.00

It looks ok to me and we use the 15lb with no problems on the heavier stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts