The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a quick sesh before work yesterday down at a mark in Port st Mary. A new mark to me, I've only fished it once before. It's the easiest of marks to do, a 50yd level walk from the car.

I don't know if Wrasse have "nurseries" as such, but the other time I went I had three Wrasse on the Bushwacker. That rod was so underwhelmed that this time I decided to use the ULX to even things up a bit. First cast, the slightest of twitches, slooooow wind, skirting the top of the Kelp, twitch, rod rattles - fish on! It gave a good account of itself for a minute then went to ground. Tried applying steady pressure, it wasn't moving. Tried giving it a slack line and waiting, still had itself jammed in somewhere. Then walked 30 yds down the rock and tried some more steady pressure. Out it popped,

a, ...ahem......4lb Wrasse...on a...ahem...giant ayu Xlayer on a....ahem..20g jighead :shock: :oops: ;-)

I kept going for another hour without so much as a nibble then off to work, job done. :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Tim. good looking 4lber :wink:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one Tim. Got to be good fun on the ULX.

Would the rod of handled a 4lb Ballan?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Better just hope that a 'proper' 4lb'er doesnt take a fancy to your lure Tim ;). If that little guy stuffed you into some rocks, you'll be sat there until midnight waiting for a Pig to come out :p.

All the same . . . . nice work !!!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good question Matt! One to try :shock:, had 4lb Calligs on the Firefly which, although higher-rated (3-12g against the ULX 1-9g) had much less backbone. Over cleanish ground, maybe, but clean ground and Wrasse don't really go together IME?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good work, Tim. Loks ideal ground and easy to fish - my kind of mark ;) How's the little Caldia working out?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
Awesome fish on the ULX, Must have been a hell of a take!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Fun fishing Tim, nice one!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well done Tim,with wrasse size does not matter, its the bend in the rod, now with that 4 pounder...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good work, Tim. Loks ideal ground and easy to fish - my kind of mark ;) How's the little Caldia working out?
Sorry Timbo, missed your reply. The Caldia is a beautifully smooth piece of kit, a total, absolute bargain for £60. :D

It's a funny old mark, it's like it's so blatantly in your face that no-one considers fishing it, suits my knackered old knees!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts