The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
it seems to be a good sign that no one wants to part from his LC ESG Rod...

So, Ill have to bite the bullet and buy me a new one. Aaaand I only found monstgertackle and a french site stocking them. Any other possibly cheaper source recommended here?

Thx
Thomas

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Doc, I got my hands on the 7.7 " 3-23 gm model with the idea of using it mainly for light SP's and the occasional Feed Shallow etc. It is light compared to my Supermix but is a beautiful little rod - very sensitive for Xlayers etc. i wouldnt like to try and cast a heavy lure into a strong wind but I didnt get it for that. It seems to be able to cast a fair distance despite ist relatively short length. The finish on the rod, reel seat and guides all seem to be of a high quality. All in all, I think it is an excellent rod.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Doc, I got my hands on the 7.7 " 3-23 gm model with the idea of using it mainly for light SP's and the occasional Feed Shallow etc. It is light compared to my Supermix but is a beautiful little rod - very sensitive for Xlayers etc. i wouldnt like to try and cast a heavy lure into a strong wind but I didnt get it for that. It seems to be able to cast a fair distance despite ist relatively short length. The finish on the rod, reel seat and guides all seem to be of a high quality. All in all, I think it is an excellent rod.
great post.

I love the ESGII, its very high quality and I've taken good bass and rockfish on it.
Not overstated by any stretch and quite simply, a great fishing rod.

I'm of the opinion that some rods are destined to be great at some things and terrible at others.
I own a SM270, great rod for 20g + paddle into really raging current or point jude eels bounced around deep points.

The ESGII would suck at that.

You need to have a rod that gives feel to get anywhere at all with HRF proper. I don't think there is much need for more than 10g + lure under 95% of all circumstances I've fished. 5 - 7g + lure is far more common and the ESGII, Shimano Dropshot etc is more than capable of stopping any fish in our waters.

People are too obsessed with getting lures 'out there' and 'back again'.
Yes, that matters but it's only a small part of what a rod should be about imho.

And, you don't need to spend near £400 on a rod that won't 'allow' you to learn.

btw, I cast most 125-145mm plugs on my ESGII or MB Silver Shadow without issue. Just alter your casting style and drop to suit the rod.

And the Savage-gear rods, for the money, are pretty damn good. I really love my bushwhacker 7ft which, to be honest, is better than the SM of any length for bite transmission.

Just my opinion, don't shoot me but, I have used ALL of these rods extensively.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
If the lighter version is anything like my 3-30g version, then don't be surprised if it handles a 23g plug with all the attitude you can throw at it. When I first got mine, I thought it was going to max out at 22-24g, but while it does load deeper in the cast, it belts a 30g lure along way when asked to.
But it will also zip out a 7g surface lure when the bass are 15' away playing in the edges, with just a flick of the wrist.
I was very happy when I brought it, and even more impressed once I had taken the time to learn how to use it.
Very good value for money.

Reactions: Nick Rowe

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
The Lucky Craft series of rods 'always' gets great reviews dosn't it.........
I will be investing in the lightest 23g model and at the 7' 7" length for next year to run along my 7 foot Sages that I am having re-built with modern handles and titanium SiC rings etc.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I will be investing in the lightest 23g model and at the 7' 7" length for next year to run along my 7 foot Sages that I am having re-built with modern handles and titanium SiC rings etc.
Who is rebuilding your Sage rods Nick?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Hi Nick , as nick asks who is doing your rebuilds of the sage rods !! is it Richard at Dorset Rods

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
redoing a rod is a nice winters work.
If I hadnt two little children, would start with an old rod this winter, so it has to wait till my son can aid me.

But back to topic, still looking for a cheap source for the ESG II as this was a "wanted thread" in classifieds before.

Thx a lot
Thomas

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Doc,
As an ESGII owner, I very much doubt that you are going to find one going cheap. They are still too new to Europe, to be many second hand ones around.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Doc,
ESGII 8'7" in the classified section!!!

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got an offer for the 771hxf Modell. Think I will give it a try with this one. Any comments on the "short" version compared to the longer ones that I would prefere?

Thx
Thomas

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Doc this is the model I bought. Like you I would have preferred a longer rod although I was looking at the Injection as well which is even shorter! I bought mine as it came up secondhand and saved money over the Injection. I have used the rod extensively for the late summer and autumn and it is very good for SP's and no slouch for the standard 10-20g plugs. I use it with a Rarenium and 12lb YGK braid so casting distance is not really an issue.

I dont think the 'shorter' rod is an issue and so I say go for it and I doubt you will regret it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts