Luminous lures | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Luminous lures

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Striper

I was fishing lastnight on our usual Sussex Tuesday night LRF sortie. We were trying a different venue and considering the conditions, the results were promising. Quite often I will use these trips to experiment with different lures or target different fish knowing that Dave and George will set the benchmark with which I can measure my successes or more often failures! Always easier to experiment if you have some thing to compare against.
    Anyway, I digress. As the light started to fade fish started to show on the surface chasing fry. At the time I was using a fairly dark lure so changed to an ivory white coloured one. None of us managed to connect with these fish and due to the distance away from us couldn't make out if they were mackerel, scad or schoolies. When I got home I washed all my kit down and turned the kitchen light off to find the lure I was using was actually luminous, glowing well in the dark. The packaging was in Japanese so didn't notice that at first.
    That got me thinking, who deliberately uses luminous (not flourescent) lures after dark and what for? Do they make a difference? Do they scare the fish at times?

2. Pollock

Mike, I have used luminous 1" SPs for herring. Some nights they work other nights they don't , I've found when they have a good (charge) a fast retrieve is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass

I deliberately used them to catch scad after dark. I also do really well on the glowing rocky fry's at night. Steve Le b also has a nice bass last year on a glowing spindle worm at dusk!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bass

Once the light starts to fade, and the night shift pollock come in, a luminous paddletail will catch you loads of fish.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salmon

Scad love them, everything else the jury is still out for me. Tried larger glowing sp's for bass last year, with zero success.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salmon

I'm the same as Dave. Scad love them, but I have tried numerous times at night with glow xlayers and some other types, and asides from the tiny pollack that appear to be just eyes with a tail, had zero success. Squid like glowing stuff though!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bass

I've tried a megabass vision 110 that glowed, Never caught on it even though the fish were there and taking other lures.
    I also have shirasu eels (lrf style plastic) that glow, i catch too many baby pollock on them to use again as i really don't want to catch the juveniles!

• Like Like x 1