The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice day today, but blimey isn't it cold here now.

Lunch hour so i went for a quick session out west in a small shallow bay with quick access with work shoes on.

Very nice looking water, surf running but rocky ground so wrasse gear in.

Very slow going and somehow got stuck under a limpet (??!!) so lost the lure, had to re-tie and only time for a few more casts, then it happened.

Had a very gentle take on a brown snake homemade, set the hook to meet somethign very heavy, started to work it in, no runs really but a very heavy slow head shake going on and kiting off to one side and I couldn't stop it with the surf running so it put me against a rock and the inevitable soon happened, snapped off.

So what could that have been? Didn't feel like a wrasse as it didn't run nor go to ground and some really big slow head shakes?

Did I just lose a really good bass or could it have been something else?? Any ideas people? Shallow (max 8 or 10ft) ground leading to deep water, bit of weed, a few underwater large rocks and the normal football to 3ft size rocks as well.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No photo's of your shoes today mate? :D

Be interested to hear peoples opinions on what that was. Could an eel or huss or something be involved?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
god knows what that was, eels possability i know they have been taken on big flies in the past though the straps you might get inshore wouls shake harder.
Only thing i know of that will act like that is a seal! ideal cover for them too if feeding on wrasse or anything like samller rock fish.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Any soft crab around Andy? I would say an eel. Not an uncommon catch vertical SP fishing in France apparently.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brown and shore crabs are still peeling. very shallow water for an eel in the day? it dries at low but maybe not today as we are on dead neaps at the moment. only about 2m movement.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Huss maybe Andy. Its got to be the most frustrating thing not seeing a good fish. Happened to me in Alderney this year, 10 minutes i had it on & never saw it once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts