The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a really buzzy, lively bass competition scene in France, and this I believe really helps to drive the market and tackle developments forward. Not my thing, but I reckon it would be very cool to have this kind of thing in the UK...........

This is a quote from Mr Gilbey, which rings so true!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nathan

Personally I just don't like competing in my fishing, tried it ages ago and it did not do it for me. I understand why anglers do compete and I reckon if comps are done right then it's a fantastic thing.

And professionally run bass competitions would really help things along I reckon - with the right publicity, press, "image" etc. - both on a fishing and a business point of view. Look at what we know about France and their bass competition scene. I am convinced that (good) competition drives things forward, and that has to be good for everybody.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hopefully with the comps gaining popularity - the two Jersey, one Weymouth and one Guernsey comps already arranged ... its a start and we are climbing the ladder to the top with the rest of the main lure countries (US, Japan and France to name a few!)

Compititions for me are about the buzz and about competing with myself - I don't necessarily enter to win but I like the pressure it puts on me to think and concentrate on my angling - just something a bit different from a bumble - if I am fortunate enough to win a prize then I count myself lucky! (Looking back at the two Jersey comps I did last year I rate myself C for the boat one and a B for the main - alot of room for improvement!).

If we get more intereset and publicity the lure scene can only benefit!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nath. 100% right. And like Henry says, good competition can be very good.

I've been involved a lot in what I'd think is 'bad' competition on the coarse side, so think that we can probably steer clear of that if its done properly. We're in kind of a good position in that we're starting pretty much fully from scratch here really. I'd like to see whatever sort of competition comes along always remain as relaxed as possible. I've witnessed it too many times before when nice guys turn nasty when there is even the slightest chance of getting their hands on enough cash just to pay for their fuel bill home. Backstabbers galore. If it ever gets to that point then I'll be pulling out of it, as I have done before.

Personally I always fished competitions (and pretty much nothing else) just because I liked to meet and fish with other people. Fishing on my own (stationary on the side of a lake) became hugely boring. The competition, even in this case probably, was secondary.

Competition does however improve the learning curve of a country MASSIVELY! As people strive to improve, everyting follows. Tackle and techniques, we've talked about egtting more kit in to this country... well, if a small competition scene starts to develop then personally I think that everything we're after will happen more quickly.

For now though, we can start relaxed, with this: http://www.pezzmedia.info/idea1.jpg

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=1336

The Bass Tour will basically just tie all of the larger events together and form kind of a simple 'league'. Its really nothing complicated or serious, but just gives those interested in something a little extra to fish for. It will be prizes only, no cash!

Points will be awarded for results in festivals such as Weymouth and Jersey. There will be a couple of other Tour events during the year as well on UK mainland and evenually points (and prizes) will be tallied and we'll have an overall winner. So it's really just simple and finds your overall champ. Or at least the most consistent anglers. The website above that I am building will be updated with news, reports, results and information about entering so will be worth keeping an eye on. For the first year this will likely be a very small, relaxed event while we test the water a bit.

As I've said, I'm fully against competition when it turns sour. I can see the future, but won't mumble on about that now (there will undoubtedly be some bad with the good). The Tour this year will be a fun event and hopefully all competition can remain that way within UK lure fishing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Had to come at some point mate. Will push me especially in to getting it sorted now.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think there is a lot to be said about the element of competition in sport. Some people compete against themselves, some against others. Either way to be successful you have to think in a certain way. You have to be prepared to experiment, practise, refine and above all learn. All those qualities will change the way you fish. Never sit still, always improving. That attitude is what is needed to drive lure fishing forward. And from what the innovators learn, they pass it on and everybody benefits.
A bit of competition will raise everybody's game. Like Ben has said the downside is the demon within some people. Those who can't accept they aren't the best every time they fish, those who can't deal with not winning. I have seen it many times where people change and friendships disappear. Hopefully we can avoid that.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
One drives the other Robert. Been there and seen it first hand at National, European and World level.
Competition literally drives technology as does war unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think nathan is refering more about the advancement in the technology of the fishing, brought on by the comps rather than competing in them themselves :)
That's what I'd have thought to start with Rob, from looking at the title (can't seen any quotes from Henry?).

Competition will sort it all out though. If it got big then it could have other effects too. Competitions and sponsors will ultimately lead to money being involved. Where there is money involved (and potentially lots of it from the resulting boom/development in the tackle industry), the economy grows and as a result the Government (etc.) will start to take more notice of us and what we need to continue making them money. With no fish there is no fishing and zero money for their pockets, so they'll have to look at protecting fish stocks again - but this time there will be an actual reason for them to look at sport-fishing as a good thing and an actual worthwhile side to the argument. Its a whole different subject all of its own, but I think that if we are to make a proper impact on what happens to life in the sea, we need to create a world (or a UK at least) where sport fishing makes money. Everything is linked, I think.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nathan

Personally I just don't like competing in my fishing, tried it ages ago and it did not do it for me. I understand why anglers do compete and I reckon if comps are done right then it's a fantastic thing.

And professionally run bass competitions would really help things along I reckon - with the right publicity, press, "image" etc. - both on a fishing and a business point of view. Look at what we know about France and their bass competition scene. I am convinced that (good) competition drives things forward, and that has to be good for everybody.
Hi Henry,

For the first time the Jersey Shore Bass Festival will have a catch and release class this year -- I think its the way forward.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Any competitions I attend this year will be purely for fun, I couldn't care who wins or how well I do in them. If I ever manage to fluke a prize then it will be very welcome but for me it'll be about meeting people and the fishing itself.

But yeah, big competitions do drive forward innovative tackle development for sure. You've only got to look at the USA's highly competitive Bass fishing scene to see that in action, so many sponsors and very well promoted. It's on the major sports TV channels and the prize money is crazy.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Chris - that's great to hear.........and Happy Birthday by the way.

When it comes to "roving" shore based competitions, how is catch and release going to be carried out ? I am all for it, have a few ideas, please don't shoot me down in flames if they are not worth exploring !!

If we take bass as being the only species we are talking about for these "roving" shore competitions, then that makes life nice and easy does it not ?

Forget all about the weight and just do it on length of fish only - all entrants to be given an official tape measure and printed instructions on how to correctly measure their bass, captor of the fish (or fishes) has to provide a straight forward photo looking down on the bass with the tape measure clearly laid out next to it. The EXIF data contained within the digital image will be able to prove that the bass was caught on the date that the captor says it was (in case of any questions), and one of the rules has to be that entrants must carry some kind of digital camera that is capable of showing fish plus tape clearly enough to see.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The tape in itself is the item?? Issue a certain tape, colour, logo or something? How much could they cost to print? Also needs to be one which will lay flat easily for the picture.

We run C&R sections in the Guernsey Bass open but it's a case of get it to the official weigh in alive and an official has to observe it swim off OK into the harbour which is OK for some but not everyone. The boat guys have live wells, some of the shore guys have tanks on the back of their wagons or a big bucket type thing. But they still have the be officially weighed.

Got to be an easy way for the roving bass comps which do not rely 100% on trust??? How do the guys on the continent do it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts