The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie I was wondering what you guys do after a fishing trip, in particular with lures and plugs. After cleaning the rod and reel with tap water, I do the same with my lures and hang them to dry. Then I give them a spray with WD40 to protect any metal parts from corrosion and coats the lure itself. It doesn't put fish off from striking on later trips. Possibly due to fish oil being a key ingredient and maybe even helping. I have in the past sprayed mackerel strips with WD40 when float fishing and it works a treat.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Kev, I tend to dunk all the used lures in a bucket of tapwater and leave them for 10 mins or so then let them dry naturally. When totally dry store them again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
get a lure box with drain holes in and dunk the lot in a bucket of fresh water or just drill small holes in yourself job done

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I soak them in a bowl with warm water and a little washing up liquid for about 10 minutes, then rinse in fresh water and lay out to dry naturally. Same with the lure box, or those BASS lure tubes that I use a lot.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Kev, I tend to dunk all the used lures in a bucket of tapwater and leave them for 10 mins or so then let them dry naturally. When totally dry store them again.
Same here, wash them in fresh water, shake the water off them & leave them to dry. I can't see a spray of WD40 doing any harm either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can I once and for all end this thing about WD40 being made with fish oil It is not. All this came about because one of the early experiments did contain some fish oil. Now it is silicon based. WD40 got its name for anyone who maybe interested (sad I know) the WD are the initials of the guy who invented it and the 40 is the number of attempts it took until he was happy with it. Told ya it was sad lol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry mate - Stands for water displacement 40th attempt.
The guy was called noel larson or something similar. :-D
On the OP i do the same as most it seems, drilled some holes in my boxes, soak them in warm water and dry them out and a bit of WD after.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

"WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients. WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients"

If it's main ingredient is a solvent, won't it ruin the finish on expensive lures, rather than protect them?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
2000 plus uses apparently.
I like to spray it on my tackle every morning :wink: One of it's uses is to keep your under carriage free & maneuverable.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes realized it was water displacement after I posted. Never got round to changing it (ok no one belives me lol) Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts