The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as i've caught the lure fishing bug, i have been wondering what you all do in the winter months when the bass move away.
I'm lucky being on the south coast and they can be caught all year round although in hugely decreased numbers.

I was thinking of Pike fishing over the winter months, hopefully tune my technique that bit more and i genuinely wanted to know what most of you do?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Check out the LRF/HRF section Mike. Until this year just gone, the majority of us had ignored the fact that although the bass all but disappear, there are still plenty of other species out there to be caught on lures. Pollack, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, Rockling... the list and possibilities are endless. Just step your tackle right down and have a serious laugh with yourself. Its also probably the best tuner of technique you'll find. Getting used to hitting tiny bites from small fish means that your bass 'bite feeling' skills automatically improve. :)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I agree. LRF it and have some fun. That, and of course the massively heavy spending online on tackle you dont need, but keep telling yourself you have to upgrade to for the next season!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm only in my third season of serious plugging and had expected to pack away the lures and dust off the beachcasters for cod... but...

Like Mark I found myself investing massively, researching lure companies, guide's blogs, asking plenty of questions on here, watching countless diving and spearfishing clips on YouTube. When breaks in the snow allowed, I took all my lure gear down to a sheltered estuary, had some fun catching flounders on baited spoons and then spent a good 2 hours each session getting to know my lures, finding out various ways of working them, getting a feel for each action ready for summer... I think it's been time well spent as results are an improvement over last year, and I've got more of an understanding of which lure will work in a given situation.

Probably will go back to b**t fishing this Winter, I just wanted to get myself up to speed with lures ready for this season!

I'm not mad, honest....!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I usually carry on luring for bass at night up until and around the xmas holidays when the numbers decrease markedly. but from October through to March i can be found luring in the daytime for pike and perch on the rivers and canals. Freshwater by day, sea by night, cant beat it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a really good tip that Rob, i think i may well invest a bit of time doing the same. This is my first proper year of taking it seriously (last two seasons just grabbed a few lures and used a mates carp rod) and to tell you the truth i didn't expect to catch until next season but i've had 3 bass in 3 sessions now. Then again i have invested some money this year getting the set up right so investing some time sounds like a wise plan.

Saying that after i've had a play and pretty happy, i'll do the same as adrian. I really fancy having a go for some pike. Never puddle fished in my life but surely a surface caught pike is just as much fun as a surface caught bass.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
The LRF and Hrf stuff that has been mentioned is great fun in the winter, especially on those still nights when you can go "really" light. Any pier or headland on the right night can produce some great sport on light gear, right through the winter. It really is fun, fun and more fun, and gets you used to feeling more through the rod which can only help when going for the bass in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts