The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always wondered about the concept guys working on new technology and materials for future usage. A lot like any company looking to the future markets and demands, what have they come up with and how would they impliment them.

What have they tried to design? What was a great idea but not practical. What has been successful and when are we going to see it? I suppose its the million dollar question, but can the future be shaped by actions/attitudes now?

As many companies design and produce tackle for current demands, there must be a few bordering on cutting edge.

When you hear the saying " The futures bright... " I do believe the " The futures light.. " in the right situations.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Mike,

The Japs seem to take the lead, followed by the US, we don't stand a chance in the UK until companies wake and realise how big our sport could be, innovation in this country is not going to happen for a very long time unfortunately !

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree steve, but i meant innovations in the worldwide market generally.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Mike Thrussell did an article HERE. The best bit of was about the lure rods, assume there's some new fantastic composite etc coming to us...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
assume there's some new fantastic composite etc coming to us...
I've not heard about anything outside of carbon nanotubes.

Ceramics in rods will be cool though. You think carbon is fast ! Think again.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Interesting comment regarding the use of ceramics in rods Keith. I have worked with ceramics in the oil industry for years and always believed ceramics to be rigid and brittle???? Is it used as a stiffener within the fibre ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exciting times..........

The Japan then US with us miles behind.....Why????
Market demand....Compared to most of you guys Ive been doing this 5 mins and actual fishing time have hardly any experience but with the net and my job(council paper recycling) compared to when a lot of you got into fishing theres so much info available....
I bet apart from biased mags the only other info available was word of mouth when a lot of you started fishing....
Now theres more info available than you can actualy take in....
In work I get loads of old sea angling mags from last few years and one thing that obvious is the bass fishing is starting/going to take off big time.I think its really in its infancy here with some guys trying new stuff....Some no good for here,some plain crap,some scoffed at(bit to cutting edge for some) and some will be the way things are gonna be done in the future...
I was really into course fishing up till my mid teens(20 years ago) and carp fishing really went along with going after tench,bream with a few guys targetting big fish....Redmire was it,AlanYates rings a bell with the record at about 44lb???? as I recall and look where carp fishings gone....
What eople want,people are prepared to pay for and slowly the big companies have to sit up and take notice otherwise they know they get left behind....Simple as that.Then they start putting money into R&D and looking what they've got and what they can bring over....I'd say a lot of its allready there in Japan,USA, and France.
Theres names about now(got back into sea fishing about a year ago) that were never around back then and simply found a niche market and filled it and hit it big time....ESP,Nash,Korum...The list goes on.
For me thats where bass fishing is and for me its an exciting time...
Reading Henry's blog about his visit to the Nantes show,Im sure some of you went and Im sure theres was some really new and excitning cutting stuff there.
I can think even last year some of the high tec lures,they werent around as much.....Even Tide Minnow's,Feed Shallows,Zonks,Sammy's where as now I think its fair to say there easier to obtain.With them theres new stuff getting recognised all the time OSP,IMA with more coming aout all the time.
The tackle also....Rods....3 years ago what were you using???What was available to people?The top end rods seem amazing with Tenryu and lately more about with Lucky Craft,Megabass and other alternatives Ive read about making there way over and with more top end products availablle so do the mid range and cheaper roods also get better.Medium reels designed for actual sea spinning and the type of fish we'll catch.Clothing is something I'd definetly like to see for sea fishing being hardwearing but better for mobile fishing with better higher tech materials.
Once either the big manufactures see it taking off or someone new see the niche and come up with totally new stuff then hopefully there will be tackle,rods n' reels specificaly designed for our climates and our conditions and how we fish and what we fish for.
For me personaly Ive read as much as possible,bought what I can to have a serious go this year and am waiting for the water to warm up a bit up and the to crab follow where better numbers of bass will move in.
Then when I can get out I'll be spending most of my hard earned pennies on petrel getting down the coast
Ive got to say I started off with plugs,getting holds of clips etc and line where my baitcasting stuff wasn't really the best for the job, buying them and reading up but Id say some of the soft lures excite me more now and how to fish them....How you can use them in different places,specific ways of rigging them ,,some of the shads,slugs and eel's and types of jig heads/weights to get them moving in a secific way..........
Exciting time.................

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I suspect the future may revolve around electronics - not just lights but also vibrators or even electro magnetic fields to excite lateral lines. The Japanese have already made great progression with fluid dynamics designing lurs to flow the water around them in such a way to develop a 'wobble'.

I would love to try and build a lure with a electrically moved weight system so that one minute it will nose dive, and the next sink backwards. Perhaps electically controlled fins....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think that every single part of it can still improve pretty massively. Reels are currently very good, and apart from all becoming waterproof and totally corrosion resistant, they're not far off being about as good as they'll ever need to be. Rods and rod components could still become lighter, with advanced actions. When that happens, we may even find longer rods becoming more fashionable again for saltwater bass. Lures....you could do about a billion things with them. I do hope they don't become electronic though (lol). I can imagine multi-purpose/adjustable lures becoming more of a reality though. I can't see it being impossible to produce a lure that works at varying depths, with varying sink/float rates, with moveable balancing points and adjustable weight shifting systems. All in one lure! lines are moving quickly now and they'll probably be quite insane in a few years time. Given time they'll probably be totally different to what we have now. As our skills and techniques improve obviously the tackle will move with it. Tackle will be designed for techniques we haven't even invented yet!

I'd love a job in product design.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I hope lines will see a lot of advancement, maybe for current braid ish diameters with increased abrasion resistance. Reels, hopefully more of a choice of more resilliant reels, VS kind of ilk. Rods, the carbon line guides that are in Japan now would change a rod completely, so coupled with advancement in the actual materials used in the blank, there is scope for improvement. I can see lures perhaps becoming more 'natural'. Maybe kind of semi hard, lifelike feel and look, but with lots of new attractant scents built in. I also think tiny electrical pulses will be incorporated. I think this will be led by Japan obviously, but am keeping my fingers crossed that more and more filters across to us. I have learn't lots since being on this forum, so lets hope it continues in the same manner!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.