The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now a lot of us are going to have a ruler to carry with us :

Just curious how others are going to carry them about During the bass festival I had mine at my side tucked under my wading belt , but it was a bit awkward when I crouched down if it had moved a bit and the end piece got knocked off and had to be re-glued on.

Its to big to go in sling bag , if was on a neck strap it would get in way of sliding sling bag round , and think if it had hole drilled in it and was hanging of wading belt it would get broken or in the way at times.

So how will you be carrying yours?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
I accept that the TLF ruler is the fairest way to give a accurate & non cheating way of measuring fish, but the portability is an issue. Especially for rock hopping lure fishers.
Could a picture of the fish not be taken against the rod & then the rod photographed against the TLF ruler when at home. There are enough marks, logos, names etc on the butt sections of rods these days that would indicate where a fish tail finished.
Someone who is unbiased & not in the competition say Alan Aubert could verify the length & if uncertain could down size the measurement slightly to err on the side of caution or disallow the fish if foul play is suspected

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I carry mine in the back pocket of my life jacket. It sticks out of the top but its not an issue

I can see the reasoning behind making everyone take their pictures against the same rule. However what did surprise me when I bought my ruler at Weymouth was (like others have said) its lack of portability. I assume that it's a standard TKR (? or similar) rule just printed up with the LF logo. However us lure anglers could do with something that's easier to carry around. Is it possible to put some additional 'hinges' in the ruler so that it hinges at quarter points instead of just the one half way along its length??

One benefit of having to stick the existing ruler in the back of your rucsac/jacket in Weymouth was that you could tell from quite a distance who was fishing in the comp :)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I had kept mine over my wader belt hanging on the joint. It is now at the bottom of St Ouens Bay somewhere, so I probably wont keep it there again. I'll probably just keep it in the back of my bag sticking out.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Why not just measure 37.5cm up from the base of your rod and stick a ring of insulating tape there? Wouldn't look too haggard if you did it neatly, and you can get tape in all sorts of snazzy colours.

Or am I just being silly?
Tom

The TLF ruler is being used so that it is fair & everyone uses the same rigid measure, (I would imagine). However I can see lots of them getting lost into the briny or broken during this next year.
I am not suggesting that anyone would cheat but bits of insulation tape on a rod leave that open to that suggestion.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
great idea but needed to be 3 or 4 folding sections.

We don't carry ours when wading, skishing, climbing or anywhere where we wouldn't have a bag simply because it is a PITA to carry around.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I agree its not the easiest thing to carry around, but we needed a sollution quickly and TKR were willing to make us them quickly. Hinging them in 4 sections would be great, but it would need to be able to lock in place. A hinged back plate/butt would also be handy. I suppose one day we will have the mark 2 or some handy adjustments of the original that we can all apapt our to. Maybe a shoulder harness with velcro so we can stick the ruler across our shoulders?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The alternative would be a soft/fabric tape. I seem to recall Ben having a Sakura tape??

Much more compact but it wouldn't have the 'sticky up bit' at the start of the rule against which you put the bass's mouth........

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts

Do you think my photograph against a rod butt & then a photo of the rod butt against the TLF ruler is feasible or not??

·
6,295 Posts

Do you think my photograph against a rod butt & then a photo of the rod butt against the TLF ruler is feasible or not??
Personally, no Nige. Still room for mistakes, and it would only be a winning fish against a nearly winning fish that the arguements would start. I agree its a dick, but a rigid measure is the only way I can see at the moment. I was hoping we could find something along the lines of the old folding carpenters rulers (I never see them anymore!), they fold 4 ways and then in half if I remember, and are about a meter long. If someone could make a wider, more easily read one of those out of plastic we would be onto a winner.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i was thinking of make 2 cuts and, hinging then getting it verified by one of the admin team/tackle dealers involved with tlf(****) did mention my idea to mr mullens and he couldnt see a prob, what do any of the admin think?, must admit it was a ball ache in the jersey fest espec on the rocks at night

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
the TLF is the best we got right now and i'm sure we'll all find of a way of incorporating it into our gear.

like with everything else, you learn and move on.

MK2 rules will likely be different and better until they get used for any period of time.

MK3 anyone ?

·
2,560 Posts
Mike, the rulers will be present at the cornish bumble if you are attending.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
going to try and get down though not sure if i wil have transport on the sunday mate else i weould be there.
I have just this second sent through payment via paypal for it mate.

·
6,295 Posts
I looked at them on Ebay Nigel, before deciding on the TKR ones. I knew I needed about 100 and I wasnt sure how easily we would be able to make out the measurements in a photo. I/we realised the mk1 isnt ideal, but it was available and the admin and staff had been trying to decide on one for so long I just ended up getting the TKR ones to get us out the fix for this season at least. I really like the carpenters ones, but it could do with being clearer/bigger and idealy waterproof.Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe Nick Phillips can make us some, he is a plastic wizard.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts