The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone have a definitive list of what make, pattern & size of treble hook & split ring matches Duo tide minnows, Tackle House Feed Shallows, Xorus Patchinkos, ect.

If members know the answers please spill the beans & I will collate a list (If someone has not already done so ), which im sure one of the Administrators would post in the appropriate area.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sean

I started putting together a spreadsheet covering all the lures I have which does include some from the 3 manufacturers you named, I started to do it as like many people I immediately throw away the packaging which often has useful info about hook types and sizes etc. and then discover that when I need to replace the hooks I don't have any matching ones.

In addition to the hook manufacturer, numbers, sizes, type T/Y and model I've also tried to record lure model numbers, length, weight, type (sinking/floating/suspending?), colour scheme, rattling, claimed minimum and maximum diving depths etc., though I didn't think of recording split ring size.

It's not complete yet but your post has prompted me to go back and finish it, happy to send you a copy when I have.

One thing that does amaze me is that despite many lures being fitted with size 3 trebles, it's extremely difficult to find anybody with these in stock.

Glen

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Not wanting to throw the spanner in the works here but...

Why do people think that mass manufacture would design a whole lure around being in balance with a given hook or split ring ?
I'll bet they aren't. Why would they be ? They order these components in the 100's of thousands no doubt so I'd be guessing price point and availability would have more bearing on lure performance.

This is one reason that so many SW lures only see a change in the hooks coming from the manufacturers.
So, we go from a lightweight, freshwater lure hook to sticking heavy wire hooks on board. Does that affect the critical actions ?

Actions aren't critical until we start getting into suspending lures and none work in saltwater anyway.

Based on what I'm saying I'd be more inclined to list hook sizes and known replacements that work well on said lures.

I know loads of you won't agree with what I've written there but I've thrown it out there anyway.

·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean

I started putting together a spreadsheet covering all the lures I have which does include some from the 3 manufacturers you named, I started to do it as like many people I immediately throw away the packaging which often has useful info about hook types and sizes etc. and then discover that when I need to replace the hooks I don't have any matching ones.

In addition to the hook manufacturer, numbers, sizes, type T/Y and model I've also tried to record lure model numbers, length, weight, type (sinking/floating/suspending?), colour scheme, rattling, claimed minimum and maximum diving depths etc., though I didn't think of recording split ring size.

It's not complete yet but your post has prompted me to go back and finish it, happy to send you a copy when I have.

One thing that does amaze me is that despite many lures being fitted with size 3 trebles, it's extremely difficult to find anybody with these in stock.

Glen
Hi Glen

Yes please to a copy. Many thanks.

Regards

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Just to make it worse Sean...some of the trebles used are short shanked. I've found it particularly true with some of the lures with 3 trebles, one is often short to prevent them from catching up on each another.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not wanting to throw the spanner in the works here but...

Why do people think that mass manufacture would design a whole lure around being in balance with a given hook or split ring ?
I'll bet they aren't. Why would they be ? They order these components in the 100's of thousands no doubt so I'd be guessing price point and availability would have more bearing on lure performance.

This is one reason that so many SW lures only see a change in the hooks coming from the manufacturers.
So, we go from a lightweight, freshwater lure hook to sticking heavy wire hooks on board. Does that affect the critical actions ?

Actions aren't critical until we start getting into suspending lures and none work in saltwater anyway.

Based on what I'm saying I'd be more inclined to list hook sizes and known replacements that work well on said lures.

I know loads of you won't agree with what I've written there but I've thrown it out there anyway.
Keith

I think it is the frequent claims of the extensive R&D and high quality manufacturing behind each lure that leads us to naively assume that the lures are designed to work optimally with the the specific hook & split ring weight distribution, a view that was reinforced when I'd bought lures with different sized hooks fitted, as I reasoned that they would only go to the bother of fitting different sizes if it was important to the action and balance.

Clearly your extensive testing and usage has demonstrated that this is not always the case, and I shouldn't have been amazed to note that when I recently bought a couple of Sebile Magic Swimmer's that neither weighed in at the weight printed on the carton the 125 was fairly close 21.2g (21.5g) but the 110 Fast Sink was only 18.68g (21g) almost 12.5% under!

Glen

·
Registered
268 Posts
Personally, I say that now its coming round to that time of year when we are thinking about maintainance, then wherever possibe, we should consider replacing trebles with single hooks.

As Keith pointed out earlier, these lures that we love and cherish are probably assembled from less than perfectly balanced and even products.

Just thought I would chuck my "cat among the pigeons" :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts