The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The art of lure tuning & customization of hard baits

This is a age old tradition, altering the way a lure looks or it’s action to hopefully improve it fish catching ability.

So with the ever increasing amount of lures now available to the fisherman, why bother, because a lot of times you just have to out of necessity, sometimes a lure you like doesn’t come in a colour of your choice or a colour that matches the primary forage food in your area, in places like the US this probably isn’t as much of a problem compared with us in the UK saltwater scene, as most lures available from the Japan, U.S.A etc make lures in colours that match there baitfish very well, I mean if you have bluegills, sunfish, crawfish, pogies, shads etc, you can get a lure colour that will represent them, over here in the UK, you want to match a black bream, wrasse , pouting etc, no chance, sandeels, yes, other bait fish or forage food, no, so the need is there for having to modify our baits to match the hatch if you like.

Other reasons are suspending lures, most suspenders are made for the freshwater market, so most manufacturers just jump on the band wagon for us saltwater anglers and chances are re-box the same lures used in fresh water for saltwater use, makes sense, the only thing they may change are the hooks and splits to plated instead of bronzed, but being as the density between freshwater and saltwater is very different, the lures act differently in each situation, so we have to do something about this by increasing the amount of weight to the lure being used in the salt to compensate, unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just chucking a little weight here and there, you need to still make sure the lure will swim well and rest/suspend for the desired time and at the right angle after your tampering.

Some lures come straight out the box with very poor hardware, this no doubt is done to help keep the costs down to make them more competitive with a huge market, that alone can cause a big problem, hook a fish of a life time and it could be all over barr the squeaking if they bend out or snap, so changing hooks and split rings to good quality one’s qualifies as lure tuning/customizing also.

Certain lures cast well, but have a less than tempting action, so to improve this you may want to make either bib alterations, like bending, shaving, shaping, or line tie alterations, hook weight changes, some of these changes make huge differences others only slight, remember, some are temporary, most are permanant so if you want to go down this route, practice on cheap lures first, rather than your brand new shiny, twenty quid one’s.

You could also change the way a lure looks and swims by adding a bucktailed siwash or a marabou flagged tail, giving it that extra little something, adding extra weight if it doesn’t cast well or is needed to fish deeper down in heavy current etc, there’s so many differing ways that can alter a way a lure looks or acts when moving or lying motionless, you are only limited by your own imagination.

If a lure tends to pull to one side or the other the line tie or bib will need to be modified to correct this, unless this is an intentional adjustment to help run the lure down the side of structure/weed line, so only several casts are needed to cover the entire length rather than many casts that could result in spooking more fish that you catch, so over this coming season, we’ll take certain lures, check out there actions, colours, etc and see the effect’s of each alteration that we make on our lures be it good or bad.

See you soon, with more info on this, I’ll try and go through modifying 1 lure a month and the reason’s why with a tutorial to go with it, remember this is a big learning curve for most.

kev

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Looking forward to that Kev, lots and lots to learn :jump:

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Yes that will be great to see! It is concerning however that we may need to do this to lures fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes that will be great to see! It is concerning however that we may need to do this to lures fresh out of the box.
Regardless of what you have read elsewhere....

Trust me, sometimes, a 'tuned' lure will outfish a 'boxed' lure.

One blinding, in your face difference is 'suspending' lures. Of course, most people in salt don't actually fish suspending lures as they are designed to be fished. If they did, and were observant, they'd notice that, suspenders, out of the box simply do not work in saltwater. I've discussed why and how we fix that elsewhere.

We throw plugs INTO weed. On purpose, to hang them up, on purpose. You need certain plugs to do that. We have started to modify the hooks to cut through the weed should they indeed hang up.

If you want to learn about how tuning could help you, listen to people who have done it and learn why. Some plugs are fine out of the box, never suggested otherwise in fact. Some are lacking, some simply don't work. They work according to their intended design spec but, our saltwater market is full of freshwater hand me downs.

Stick 'SW' on the packaging, put salt resistant hooks on the plug, buyer is unaware.., another sale.

Remember, the saltwater Bass market does not generate enoug revenue to drive design..Yet.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
One blinding, in your face difference is 'suspending' lures. Of course, most people in salt don't actually fish suspending lures as they are designed to be fished. If they did, and were observant, they'd notice that, suspenders, out of the box simply do not work in saltwater. I've discussed why and how we fix that elsewhere.
Yes I agree with what you say in your reply Keith.

I know nothing about how to get a lure to suspend properly. I agree that the ones out of the box don't do what they say on the tin, so I just gave up on them!

I am very open to the idea of tuning lures, and look forward to hearing how to go about it.

Have you discussed the suspending issue on this Forum?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith,
The Squid mentioned using wire wool to matt a shiny lure, Makes sense to me for some conditions (like very bright/clear day). I seem to remember you mentioning it in the past. I assume some 0000 grade wire wool would do the job nicely. But which lures have you matted with good results, I know Squid mentioned DC9/12.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts