The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting session this morning at a local mark were it's possible to fish into deep(ish) water. There were loads of baitfish about and the mackerel were swarming all over the place chasing them. I caught about a dozen or so, as well as a couple of school bass on various plugs of about 100mm. There were also some fairly big looking garfish quite clearly following the lures but not striking.

Anybody here target garfish? And if so, what kind of lures do you find work? I'm guess small spoons might do the trick? Or maybe they would have tried taking the lures if my technique was a bit better?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I nailed a big one out in France last week on a Xorus Rolling Stick mounted on a Jig Head. I've also caught them on the Asturie.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Simon, I havent targetted them but have accidentally caught quite a few gars on a Daiwa TD pencil for some reason.

·
Registered
498 Posts
try the small tacklehouse naburas that mr fish has in stock, found the 6g work best for garfish, have found small gars just seem to follow then all of a sudden a good size one will smash into it

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I find they will take anything small and minnow like. Its a struggle to avoid them sometimes! The only problem being is they peck and peck and don't often hook up. As Keith mentioned, silk loops or some wool on a back treble will tangle the beak and keep them attached, should you wish to target them. Either that or small spinners type things like Mepps, with small sticky sharp trebles. Have fun unhooking them as well!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, guys. Sounds like I may have a few lures that could possibly do the job. Can't say I'm going to make a huge point of targeting them, but I've not caught one before and it's always nice to catch a new species.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A Toby can be effective for garfish and for getting larger mackerel.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Oddly enough, the lure that I do tend to catch Garfish on is the Daiwa SLS-14F-no idea why though.

G

·
Slim metal lures work just fine. Make sure you put one or two extra splitrings between the lure and the hook (treble). This will increase the chance of getting them hooked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fast retrieved silver tobys or dexters are what I've had em on.
Can't say I enjoy grappling with em, half the time they come off and bash themselves on the rocks. which I try and avoid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts