The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the North West, most of my fishing involves using lures in estuaries or on the flood of the tide pushing through gullies on open beaches. I've had considerable success this year "bumping" a Dexter or range vibe with a small teaser along the bottom (just purchased some Picol'eau Eels to do the same job) when the flow gets too strong

BUT

It's not exactly fun. Are there any plugs that hold well in a cross current? The smaller Tide Minnows do well cast uptide and let swing round, as do the Z-Claw and most surface lures but what I'm looking for is something that doesn't catch the tide from side-on that I can retrieve with the flow. Not the best explaination I'm sure but ideas please! Or are there any other methods of fishing venues like this that I haven't been aware of?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Do you need to be retrieving Rob? A suspending bait like the Rudra just wound down to depth and then let come down naturally with the flow may be a suggestion? An up-current wind may make presentation easier, but it could be more than worth a shot. As would a trotted soft bait?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Rob,
like Ben I would reconmend both the Rudra and the smaller Asura. I fish a couple of strongly tidal rivers. Both lures work well strangely enough it has been the Asura that has given the best results. Don't rule out casting down and across, I know it should be a less natural presentation, but it often works better.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Rob,
like Ben I would reconmend both the Rudra and the smaller Asura. I fish a couple of strongly tidal rivers. Both lures work well strangely enough it has been the Asura that has given the best results. Don't rule out casting down and across, I know it should be a less natural presentation, but it often works better.
Exactly the way we drift lures in strong flow with the occasional 'twitch' once at depth that just rattles the hooks.
Remember though that suspending lures as purchased out of the box won't work for you 99.9% of the time. You have to tune them to suspend at their designed running depth. Make sure you tune and fish the lure with the same line and leader and even clip because even slight changes mean your lure not holding the depth over a drift.

This is true slack line Bass lure fishing but don't get too much slack.
Whatever you do, follow the drift with the whole torso as it passes you and, pass the line under tension onto your spool using your rod hand thumb and forefinger.

Another way is a foam bung in the first guide on the rod attached by an elastic band. Cast, quickly plug the guide and the line will be under tension as you retrieve.
I personally use the thumb and forefinger.

For retrieving lures back with current just faster than speed, the tide minnow is superb as it presents with the correct tight action. In slack water, It presents totally the wrong swimming profile but in water at 3 knots or more, it's great. Don't retrieve against current unless in short rolling bursts of less than a meter and immediately drop it back in a swinging action.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting! Thanks Ben, I've got the 'Hasu' Rudra but assumed that because it's quite a tall lure it would catch too much tide and shoot off downstream? I don't need to be retrieving, I'm just exploring other options at the moment. I was thinking that a lure with less surface area would hold position better. I think I know what you're saying Dave, if there's a bit of an eddy or structure infront then down and across is an option. Its up and across that I feel I have a bit of a gap.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If your dead set on up and across Rob, and depth isn't an issue-try Feed Shallow/X Cross. Due to their strong actions I find it easier to stay in touch and retrieve them "just" enough to get them working, I find lures requiring more speed to work them are a pain when fished upstream. As you end up cranking like hell to work them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah right so in strong flow they're more rigid with a tighter wobble, thankyou

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ah right so in strong flow they're more rigid with a tighter wobble, thankyou
Yes, like a tightly wiggling stick. This is why drifted Senko's do so well in strong flow.
Strong flow meaning the water is fast enough and has enough mobility to push or pull a 7 or 10g lure through without assistance from the angler.
Me and Kev are working on a flow speed system and relative depth and volume as we speak. We want to know, or, more like, track down the flow speeds when certain lure densities and sizes/weights are more likely to be successful.

Because our strong flows are very localised and indeed, very quick to start up and dissipate, having this info for each run down should up the percentage of takes for each run through in such flows. We've found that better fish are caught within 3 to 5 drifts or swings when fishing a new constriction etc. So it makes sense to have the ideal lure (size, weight, density, colour, etc) because with each blank drift, the chances of a big fish are diminishing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
One of the venues I fish is an estuary where as the tide goes out it drops into a narrowing channel. The trick is to find the edges of the current where the bass hold ambishing prey. Later in the tide when the current narrows less they seem to be held in mid current rather than the edges.
I have tried many times fishing upstream with various lures but no success. Any idea there would be appreciated too. What I have caught on though is, and Keith will hate this, is the Sidewinder eels. In fact many times it is a go to lure for this type of venue. You can't change the weight but it is a possible to vary the way it fishes by rod angle, tip height, retrieve speed etc. When the tide slackend off the same approach works using a Saltiga Minnow.
Like you I know the fish are ambushing food dropping down with the tide, but by working down and across it is still possible to present a bait moving downstream, even though they appear to be swimming against the current rather than with it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Mike:

Use a sidewinder if it works. I have no issue with that.
I often swing lures across flow with varied arcs achieved by controlled backwinding.

I will add though that the main reason many guys fail to catch on drifts and yet catch on swings is contact and...the fish often self hook on swings which doesn't happen on drifts. It's all about knowing when a Bass has your lure.

Just like OTD fishing, until you learn to do it, most will be oblivious to the fact a Bass has the lure in it's mouth on the drift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts