The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well given the current windy rough weather, I was wondering what lures the membership have found to work on those days where the wind and weather are against you. Onshore winds howling, rain hammering down, but your out in it anyway, what to use??
Personally I find the Super Spook will tend to hold it's own, and even in the rough stuff bass seem to be to find it. Same goes for the Patchinko.
So what have you tried on those less than ideal days?? and what worked for you??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
the same lures as normal Dave.

Considering I don't classify straight out casting a priority, it rarely affects us.

I might change up a size or switch to a similar sized but sinking lure IF the fish want it that way but....
onshore winds usually mean fish are closer in anyway. Just don't spook em by standing on top of them.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I really meant I guess is those days when the surf is pounding, more than lures that beat the wind. like you I tend to find in a strong onshore wind the bass are often right in or behind the breakers, but not all lures seem to handle the rolling rough water. Tried a couple of times last year, with mixed results

Thanks Kevin, hadn't thought of Rattle-Traps, makes sense to me. Strong vibration and rattle, Easy for the bass the detect and home in on. Another reason to spend more time trying vib lures this year! Cast along the beach, at a shallow angle, should improve the chance of a beach patrolling bass finding them.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xorus Bass Arrow and Daiwa Shore line shiner seem to work well to me under such conditions...
Tom, I am surprised by the bass arrow, for me it seems to work best on the those flat oily calm days, and had problems with SHoreline shiner "popping" up in the rough stuff. But given your results I will try again, thanks for the input.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Tideminnow 150 Surf for those rough days, or even something soft and deep?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Magnum X-rap or an old skool Bomber A Salt for me. Never seen the rat-l-trap but they look good.

·
6,295 Posts
Xorus Bass Arrow and Daiwa Shore line shiner seem to work well to me under such conditions...

TOm
I am surpsised too, I love the Bass arrow on milky calm days.

For me in rough weather and swell I would say surface: Super Spook if the wind is behind me or a Patchinko or any popper if I am punching into it. Diving: Zonk, Tide Minnow Surf, or any jointed lure if the water is coloured.

·
Registered
949 Posts
the same lures as normal Dave.

but....
onshore winds usually mean fish are closer in anyway. Just don't spook em by standing on top of them.
Excellent Advice!
A long-casting shallow runner that will hold its course in a chop is always a lure worth having just in case the fish are further out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello,

Here in Portugal most of our fishing spots face west, right into the might of the Atlantic Ocean, and usually we have 2 meters plus waves on the majority of our west coastline, making most of our sea fishing spots very rough indeed, strong waves and breaking surf on the sand beaches, and strong ripples and surf on rock marks.

Now, for lures that hold their own on really tought conditions I vote for the Yo-Zuri/Duel Aile Magnet Darter (the bigger 1 Oz one), the L.C. Flashminnow 130 MR, the Jackson Athlethe (the 15 cm's one, not the slim version) and the classic Maria La Segunda.

All of those above are plugs, that dive around 60/80 cm's and suspend or float when stopped.

Using surface lures with this kind of seas is most of times impossible, because the surf just won't let them work propperly.

One exception is maybe for some "heavy" poppers that cast well and have some "grip" in the water, like the Maria Pop Queen, and some Pencil Poppers like the Yo-Zuri Surface Cruise or the Cotton Cordell pencil poppers.

Maybe you guys consider these kind of lures too big for seabass but they work well in here.

Cheers

·
6,295 Posts
the classic Maria La Segunda.
One exception is maybe for some "heavy" poppers that cast well and have some "grip" in the water, like the Maria Pop Queen, and some Pencil Poppers like the Yo-Zuri Surface Cruise or the Cotton Cordell pencil poppers.
Maybe you guys consider these kind of lures too big for seabass but they work well in here.
Cheers
The Segunda is a great lure, not over popular in the uk but you are right it is great on stormy beaches and reef.

Those lures you mention like the Cordell, no they are not too big in the uk and do get used alot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts